Phil Runkel is counsel in Mayer Brown's Charlotte office and a member of the Real Estate practice group. He has a diverse real estate practice in the areas of real estate financing, corporate real estate, commercial leasing, real estate acquisitions and dispositions, and development. Phil represents developers, pension funds, private equity funds, real estate investment trusts, real estate operating companies, and corporations in connection with construction and permanent loan financing, new developments, dispositions, joint ventures, leasing and acquisitions. He works on a broad array of matters, with particular focus on tenant-side office & retail leasing, REIT transactions, solar/renewable energy leasing, and mixed-use developments.
Phil is licensed to practice in New York and North Carolina and has been recognized in both Best Lawyers and Business North Carolina.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in February 2020, Phil:
- Negotiated numerous office leases of more than 100,000 s.f. for publicly-traded companies relocating their worldwide headquarters to North Carolina.
- Lead counsel to prominent tech company in negotiating a build-to-suit lease of 300,000 s.f. of showcase, collaborative office space in an urban brownfields development.
- Ongoing representation of upscale European furniture company in negotiating boutique store leases throughout the USA.
- Lead counsel to senior housing-focused REIT in its acquisition of independent living and memory care licensed facilities across three states.
- Due diligence lead counsel to a multibillion-dollar REIT in its $1.5 billion sale/leaseback transaction. Managed a team of 41 lawyers and paralegals that provided expedited review of title, survey and zoning for 660 properties located in 46 states and Canada.
William & Mary Law School, JD
William and Mary Law Review; Moot Court Bar
University of Virginia, BA
- North Carolina
- New York