Phil Runkel serves clients in the areas of real estate financing, corporate real estate, commercial leasing, real estate acquisitions and dispositions, and development. Phil represents developers, pension funds, private equity funds, real estate investment trusts, real estate operating companies, and corporations in connection with construction and permanent loan financing, new developments, dispositions, joint ventures, leasing and acquisitions. He works for clients on a broad array of matters, with particular focus on tenant-side office & retail leasing, REIT transactions, solar/renewable energy leasing, and mixed-use developments.
- Negotiated office leases of more than 100,000 s.f. for publicly-traded companies relocating their worldwide headquarters to North Carolina.
- Ongoing representation of upscale European furniture company in negotiating boutique store leases throughout the USA.
- Lead counsel to prominent tech company in negotiating a build-to-suit lease of 300,000 s.f. of showcase, collaborative office space in an urban brownfields development.
- Lead counsel to senior housing-focused REIT in its acquisition of independent living and memory care licensed facilities across three states.
- Diligence lead counsel to a multibillion-dollar REIT in its $1.5 billion sale/leaseback transaction. Managed a team of 41 lawyers and paralegals that provided expedited review of title, survey and zoning for 660 properties located in 46 states and Canada.
William & Mary Law School, JD
William and Mary Law Review; Moot Court Bar
University of Virginia, BA
- North Carolina
- New York
- Recognized by Best Lawyers.
- Recognized by Business North Carolina.