A "really good associate"Legal 500
Charles Pacey helps clients to complete complex high value real estate development and construction and engineering projects.
Clients turn to Charles for his experience in drafting and negotiating construction and engineering contracts. His experience includes drafting and advising on all aspects of national and international construction contracts in connection with large scale domestic and international construction and engineering projects, using both bespoke and standard forms such as FIDIC, JCT and NEC.
Charles also advises clients on the application of construction and engineering law principles to events which arise during the progress of a project.
Charles has acted on a diverse range of projects, including office developments, hotels, residential developments, power plants (conventional and renewable), chemical plants, mining developments and infrastructure.
Charles has spent six months seconded to a major international chemical production company.
- Advising on all aspects of the drafting and negotiation of the construction contracts relating to a substantial and complex rooftop extension to existing office and retail space in London, Victoria.
- Advising UK and overseas banks and funds on all construction matters relating to the provision of development loan facilities for various high value property developments in London.
- Advising a major London based developer in relation to all construction issues relating to their London developments, including advising on the drafting and negotiation of the developer’s bespoke construction contracts.
- Advising a purchaser on the underlying construction documents relating to their purchase of a new office development in East London.
- Drafting and advising on the terms of the construction contracts relating to the fit out of a major UK law firm’s headquarters.
- Advising on and preparing a suite of deeds of amendment for a complex PFI-style project for energy generation at student accommodation in the UK.
- Drafting and advising in relation to base build works at a substantial residential development in North London based on a bespoke form of building contract.
- Assisting in advising in relation to construction documentation for the development of a data centre for a major global bank, based on a bespoke form of agreement.
- Advising one of Southeast Asia’s largest property development companies, Sinarmas Land Limited, on all construction matters related to their 2015 purchase of the Alphabeta building in Finsbury Square, London for more than £250 million (which won Deal of the Year 2016 at the Property Week Awards).
- Advising a major oil and gas company with respect to the form of EPC Contract (based upon the FIDIC Silver Book) for a proposed new oil and gas facility in South America.Advising an oil and gas company in relation to the tender documentation and EPC, FEED and ancillary construction contracts relating to a proposed upgrade to its oil refining capabilities in the Middle East.
- Advising a major international chemical production company on construction documents to be used in the construction of a major new chemical plant in Asia (including drafting EPC, EPCM, and standard construction contracts).
- Assisting in advice provided in relation to an EPC Contract based upon the FIDIC Yellow Book for the expansion of a major maritime project in Central America.
- Drafting and assisting a client in its negotiations with the contractor in respect of a GMP construction contract for the construction of a large development in South Korea. This was an important and substantial investment by our client in the region, and required the amalgamation and adaption of the client’s own standard US GMP contractual provisions and the FIDIC Red Book.
- Advising a purchaser on its significant investment in solar energy plants located in Thailand, the Philippines and the UK, including conducting due diligence of all relevant EPC and O&M contracts.
- Advising on onshore and offshore EPC contracts for the supply and installation of an offshore mooring system for a floating storage and regasification unit in Central America.
- Advising a Brazilian shipbuilder on an EPC subcontract relating to the provision of an oil/chemical tanker.
- Drafting precedent forms of construction appointment for a major FTSE 100 mining company for use in its mining operations in Southern Africa.
- Advising a large UK developer in relation to a dispute regarding a series of leaks in a high end residential building in London.
- Advising a contractor in relation to a dispute relating to a large housebuilding development in the South-East of England.
- Advising an Employer on a dispute relating to demolition works at a large residential development in London.
- Advising on an ICC arbitration in connection with the design and construction of a major maritime project in Central America.
Kaplan Law School, LPC
University of Cambridge
- England and Wales
- Listed as a key lawyer for Construction, "Charles Pacey and Sean Hummerstone are both really good associates and senior associates." Legal 500.