Charles Pacey is a senior associate in the Construction & Engineering group of the London office, whose primary focus is on the drafting and negotiation of construction and engineering contracts. His experience includes drafting and advising on all aspects of national and international construction contracts in connection with large scale domestic and international construction and engineering projects, using both bespoke and standard forms such as FIDIC, JCT and NEC.
Charles also works on contentious construction matters, advising Employers in relation to disputes across a range of dispute resolution mechanisms including adjudication and arbitration.
Charles joined Mayer Brown in 2012 as a trainee and during his training contract, he spent six months on secondment to Moody's.
- Assisting in advice provided in relation to an EPC Contract based upon the FIDIC Yellow Book for the expansion of the Panama Canal.
- Drafting and assisting a client in its negotiations with the contractor in respect of a GMP construction contract for the construction of a large development in South Korea. This was an important and substantial investment by our client in the region, and required the amalgamation and adaption of the client’s own standard US GMP contractual provisions and the FIDIC Red Book.
- Advising a purchaser on its significant investment in solar energy plants located in Thailand, the Philippines and the UK, including conducting due diligence of all relevant EPC and O&M contracts.
- Advising on onshore and offshore EPC contracts for the supply and installation of an offshore mooring system for a floating storage and regasification unit in Central America.
- Advising a Brazilian shipbuilder on an EPC subcontract relating to the provision of an oil/chemical tanker.
- Drafting precedent forms of construction appointment for a major FTSE 100 mining company for use in its mining operations in Southern Africa.
- Advising on and preparing a suite of deeds of amendment for a complex PFI-style project for energy generation at student accommodation in the UK.
- Advising an Employer on a dispute relating to a large residential development in London.
- Drafting and advising in relation to base build works at a substantial residential development in North London based on a bespoke form of building contract.
- Assisting in advising in relation to construction documentation for the development of a data centre for a major global bank, based on a bespoke form of agreement.
- Drafting and negotiating consultant’s appointments in relation to the fit-out of tenant office space in Central London.
- Advising one of Southeast Asia’s largest property development companies, Sinarmas Land Limited, on all construction matters related to their 2015 purchase of the Alphabeta building in Finsbury Square, London for more than £250 million (which recently won Deal of the Year 2016 at the Property Week Awards).
Kaplan Law School, LPC
University of Cambridge
- England and Wales