Basil Ong is a counsel in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice in Mayer Brown PK Wong & Nair Pte. Ltd.'s Singapore office. He has been in practice for more than 25 years dealing mainly with dispute related matters. He has undertaken the conduct of a wide spectrum of civil litigation matters at all levels in the State Courts, High Court, Court of Appeal and arbitral tribunals. These include the application for injunctions and the setting aside of such injunctions, bankruptcy and other insolvency issues, matrimonial and probate proceedings, contractual disputes, construction claims, debt recovery matters and arbitration. Additionally, he has wide experience in insurance related matters especially in all types of third party claims. These include property damage, personal injury, workmen compensation, general liability, public liability and other policy disputes. He has also rendered advice on numerous insurance related policy issues.
In particular, Basil has extensive experience in family related disputes and advisory matters. These include family wealth related disputes and issues together with matrimonial disputes involving high net worth parties. He has advised clients in matters involving mental capacity issues and is qualified to act as a Professional Deputy for persons who have lost mental capacity. He is a Commissioner for Oaths in Singapore.
- Advising clients in relation to the drafting of arbitration clauses, validity and enforceability of such claims and acting for clients in application to Court for stay of proceedings on account of an arbitration clause.
- Acting for clients in arbitration disputes concerning commercial contracts, namely:
- Acting for owner developer against main contractor and professionals.
- Acting for main contractor in building dispute with nominated sub-contractor.
- Acting for Taiwanese company against an Italian party in a contract dispute.
- Acting for a Labuan company in contractual dispute with an Indonesian airline.
Family & Estate Matters
- Acting for parties in dissolution of marriage and disposal of ancillary issues relating to children custody, maintenance for wife and children and division of matrimonial assets and property.
- Advising clients and drafting Deeds of Settlement, Separation and Prenuptial Agreements.
- Acting in applications for interim maintenance, interim custody and Personal Protection Orders.
- Acting for clients in applications for adoption.
- Representing a client in dispute regarding proof of parentage.
- Advising and acting for trustees, executors and administrators in estate matters and disputes involving breach of duty.
- Advising in matters relating to appointment of representatives of persons who have lost mental capacity and acting for clients in applications to be appointed as deputies.
- Acting for clients in the defence of a claim for gold certificates based on resulting trust, constructive trust and Quistclose trust involving multi-jurisdictional parties.
Disputes Involving Residential and Commercial Properties
- Acting for client in dispute over the issue of whether residential premises are uninhabitable by reason of pre-existing mould infestation.
- Advising on breach of covenants in tenancy agreements.
- Acting for client in a dispute over the sale and purchase of a commercial property.
- Recovery of rental arrears.
- Acting for clients in the eviction and recovery of premises.
- Levying of distress on property in commercial property.
- Acting for client in disputes over contractual rights affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Acting for client in employment disputes involving breaches of fiduciary duty by employees and the application and defence of injunctions by the employer company.
- Acting for client in protection of intellectual property rights particularly the defence, application and execution of Anton Pillar Orders and other injunctory reliefs.
- Acting for client in insurance related claims involving personal injury, property damage, industrial accidents, fire damage and insurance/performance bonds.
London School of Economics (LSE), LLB
- Middle Temple
- Advocate & Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
- Member, The Law Society of Singapore
- Commissioner for Oaths, Singapore Academy of Law
- Professional Deputy, The Office of the Public Guardian