'Rachael O'Grady is successful because of her commitment, research skills, writing ability and judgement'.Legal 500 2020
Rachael O'Grady is a partner in the international arbitration practice at Mayer Brown International LLP. A solicitor advocate, she focuses on international commercial and bilateral investment treaty arbitration and public international law.
Rachael has acted as counsel and advocate for claimants and respondents in both investment treaty and commercial arbitrations across a wide range of industries, including the satellite, telecommunications, taxation, mining, oil and retail sectors. She has particular experience in large-scale investment disputes in Africa and the Middle East.
Rachael has conducted arbitrations under the ICSID, ICC, LCIA, UNCITRAL, LMAA, CAS and ad hoc rules. As well as advising on complex international and domestic legal issues in such disputes, she has been commended by clients and peers for her "rock-solid case management".
Rachael publishes regularly on international arbitration and public international law. In relation to the latter, she has a special interest in the laws of outer space. She is frequently asked to speak at arbitration conferences and universities (including the University of Manchester and Queen Mary University of London). Topics she has addressed have included policy objectives in international investment law and the future of international arbitration. In addition to her native English, Rachael speaks French, Spanish and Portuguese.
Rachael currently serves as an ICC YAF (Young Arbitrator Forum) representative for Europe and Russia.
Rachael joined Mayer Brown in 2011 and was based in the firm's Paris office before moving to London in 2014. Prior to this, she was deputy counsel at the ICC in Paris for the UK and Commonwealth Team. She completed her legal training at a magic circle firm in London.
Recent or pending arbitration or court proceedings include the representation of:
- A US investor and his US companies in pending ICSID Arbitration proceedings against an Eastern-European State on the basis of a bilateral investment treaty. The dispute relates to the expropriation of the Claimants' investments in the press distribution industry as well as in real estate.
- A West-African State in a pending ICSID Arbitration against the subsidiary of a mining company over the termination of a mining license in that country, with an amount in dispute of 43 million Euros.
- A Middle-Eastern State in a pending ICSID Arbitration against a large multinational corporation in a dispute arising out of a waste management services contract.
- A Middle-Eastern company in a pending ICC arbitration in respect of a joint venture dispute, with an amount in dispute of 38 million USD.
- A Middle-Eastern company in a pending ICC arbitration, against US companies, in relation to a disputed construction contract in a North-African State.
- A British Virgin Island company in a pending ICC arbitration, against US companies, in relation to a disputed construction contract in a North-African State.
- A State in an LMAA arbitration concerning a disputed joint venture agreement relating to ferry services.
- A French company in the context of court proceedings in an Asian country regarding the validity of an arbitration clause.
- A French company against an Eastern-European company regarding an action to set aside an ICC award rendered in France.
- A French company in an ICC arbitration against a Chinese company in the context of a disputed distribution agreement.
- Two European companies in an ICC arbitration against two French companies in the context of a disputed asset sale and purchase agreement concerning projects in France.
- Rachael has been involved in international law aspects of ongoing criminal proceedings in France concerning tax evasion and money laundering.
The College of Law, London, LLB, Honours
The College of Law, London, LPC
The College of Law, London, Graduate Diploma in Law
University of Birmingham, BA, with honors, Modern History and Modern Languages
- England and Wales
- Listed as a 'Rising Star' and under 'Other key lawyers' 'Senior associate Rachael O'Grady is successful because of her commitment, research skills, writing ability and judgement'. - Legal 500 2020 International Arbitration.
- Listed as a Next Generation Lawyer, notable senior associate Rachael O'Grady "develops an impressive understanding of clients' business" - Legal 500 (International Arbitration)2018.
- "provides rock-solid case management" - Legal 500 (International Arbitration) 2017.