Sources have described Andy Marovitz as “much-admired,” a “thoughtful, measured and extremely polished courtroom performer,” and a “‘formidable opponent … strong in terms of his substantive knowledge’ with ‘a lot of credibility with judges.’” “Clients consider him to be ‘nothing short of outstanding.’”Chambers USA
Andy Marovitz is Mayer Brown’s General Counsel as well as a trial lawyer who concentrates on antitrust litigation and complex commercial litigation. He has represented national and multinational corporations in monopolization, attempted monopolization, price fixing, market allocation and conspiracy cases. He represented BASF Corporation in In re Vitamin Antitrust Litigation, one of the largest price fixing cases ever filed. He also counsels clients on general antitrust issues and represents companies faced with significant litigation.
Best Lawyers in America named Andy as its 2017 “Lawyer of the Year” for Chicago in the Litigation – Antitrust category. For the past three years, Chambers USA identified him as one of only two “Star Individuals” in Chicago for Antitrust. Legal 500 added that he is “recognized as ‘a star of the antitrust bar’” with “a focus on big-ticket litigation.” Andy is also listed in Who’s Who Legal as an “extremely well known” attorney who devotes substantial time to high-profile cartel litigation. Market commentators called him a “real competitor,” a “reliable, knowledgeable and experienced” attorney who impresses sources with his “outstanding litigation and negotiation skills,” and an “excellent, excellent lawyer,” wrote Chambers USA 2014. He was also named an Antitrust National, Antitrust Illinois and General Commercial Illinois Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation 2016.
In addition to his civil practice, Andy has handled a number of criminal price fixing matters pursued by various DOJ field offices. The February 2004 edition of the UK-based Global Competition Review identified him as a young antitrust lawyer to watch. Prior to joining Mayer Brown, he clerked for the Honorable Richard D. Cudahy of the US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Yale Law School, JDPotter Stewart Prize, Best Team in Moot Court CompetitionNote Editor, The Yale Law Journal
Amherst College, BA, with honorsPhi Beta Kappa
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Board of Trustees, Ravinia Festival
- Served as one of the lawyers in the mock trial presented at the Spring Meeting for the Antitrust Section of the American Bar Association held in Washington, DC
- American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation
- Board member (2005-09), Coordinated Advice and Referral Program for Legal Services (CARPLS), Chicago