Jan Kraayvanger acts "quickly and with oversight."Legal 500 Germany
Jan Kraayvanger has over 20 years of experience in resolving intricate international disputes. He has represented clients from a wide range of jurisdictions, including Europe, the Americas, Asia, India and Russia. His sector coverage includes diverse industries, such as the financial, insurance and construction industry. His ability to devise innovative legal strategies and adapt to evolving situations has earned him the trust and respect of clients worldwide.
With an illustrious track record of more than 100 disputes, including more than 30 arbitrations, Jan possesses the skill, experience, and tenacity required in high stake matters. His key differentiators are his extensive international dispute experience, a proven track record of high profile matters, comprehensive legal knowledge, strategic and tenacious representation as well as a collaborative and client-focused approach with a deep appreciation for cross-cultural dynamics. He approaches his cases with a strategic mindset, meticulously analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of the client's position. Based on the individual needs of the client, he crafts a robust legal strategy tailored to the specific circumstances.
- Several ICC arbitrations, each regarded damage claims in connection with the engineering and construction of industrial plants in different industries.
- CIETAC arbitration regarding warranty claims in connection with the delivery of a production plant.
Post M&A / W&I Disputes
- Representation of several W&I insurers in arbitration proceedings in connection with the alleged breach of guarantees in an SPA for the acquisition of a sanitary ware manufacturer.
- Several DIS arbitrations regarding post M&A disputes in the chemical industry.
- DIS arbitration regarding a post M&A dispute in the life science industry.
- Several DIS and ad hoc post M&A arbitrations in the automotive industry.
Financial Industry and Restructuring Disputes
- Representation of various Asian companies in connection with the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers Bankhaus AG worth EUR 250 million.
- Representation of two banks against HETA Asset Resolution AG worth about EUR 350 million.
- Defense of compensation claims against the subsidiary of a credit institution for bringing about a bankruptcy case worth approximately EUR 580 million.
- Representation of UBS AG against a municipal company before the Regional Court of Leipzig regarding claims stemming from financial products which amount to more than EUR 300 million.
- Representation of a Mongolian mining company in a DIS arbitration worth more than USD 80 million.
Professional and Management Liability Disputes
- Representation of several insurers on professional liability insurance coverage in connection with cum/ex transactions worth EUR 195 million.
- Representation of several insurers on professional liability insurance coverage in connection with cum/ex transactions worth EUR 800 million.
- Representation of a construction company against certain former managers in a management liability case involving several jurisdictions.
Notable Engagements as Arbitrator
- DIS arbitration regarding the lease agreement of a car dealer.
- International ad-hoc arbitration regarding claims under a technology transfer agreement.
- International DIS arbitration regarding the termination of a managing director service agreement (as chairman).
- International DIS arbitration regarding compensation claims of a managing director (as chairman).
- International DIS arbitration regarding claims under a product license agreement.
- DIS arbitration regarding a post M&A dispute (as chairman).
Other Notable Engagements
- Representation of BASF AG, Wintershall AG and Gazprom in several multi-billion euro law suits against Moncrief Oil International, Inc. regarding the exploitation of the Jushno-Russkoye gas field in Siberia/Russia.
- DIS arbitration regarding payment claims in the telecommunications industry.
- Ad hoc arbitration regarding claims for commission in the automotive industry.
- Ad hoc arbitration regarding a hotel lease agreement.
- ICC arbitration regarding damage claims in connection with an IT outsourcing project in the aviation industry.
- ICC arbitration regarding damage claims between two automotive manufacturers.
- DIS arbitration regarding a long term delivery agreement in the solar industry.
Doctor’s degree (PhD in law), University of Mannheim
Second State Law Examination (bar exam)
Legal Clerkship (Referendariat)
Frankenthal and Frankfurt am Main
First State Law Examination
Universities of Mannheim and the West of England
- Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- German British Lawyers' Association
- German American Lawyers' Association (DAJV)
- German Lawyers' Association (DAV)
- Frankfurt Bar Association
- German Institution of Arbitration
- "Recommended lawyer" in the areas of Dispute Resolution - Disputes in the Financial Services Sector, and Dispute Resolution - Arbitration and Commercial Disputes. "Focus on litigation in the financial services sector," and “acts ‘quickly and with oversight.’" – Legal 500 Germany
- "Jan Kraayvanger made a remarkable development." "’Solution oriented and stringent work’" – JUVE Handbook