Jennifer Huang is a member of Mayer Brown’s Intellectual Property (IP) group who splits her practice between IP and International Arbitration. She has wide-ranging experience across litigation and arbitration, including trial and appellate litigation before U.S. state and federal courts, international commercial arbitration, and investor-state disputes. She regularly serves as counsel in arbitral proceedings held under the rules of the ICC, LCIA, ICDR, Swiss Arbitration Centre, CAM-CCBC, and UNCITRAL. Jennifer’s IP practice focuses on copyright and trademark infringement disputes, particularly those with an international component. She represents clients spanning a diverse range of sectors, from entertainment to food and beverage, telecommunications, construction, commercial aviation, aerospace, energy, insurance, and finance.
Jennifer is a frequent speaker at professional conferences and a published author in the field of music cognition. As part of her active pro bono practice, she has counseled Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts on various issues and successfully represented asylum seekers in both affirmative and defensive proceedings. During law school, she represented musicians under the Recording Artists Project and worked at the World Intellectual Property Organization in Geneva, Switzerland. Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Jennifer practiced international litigation and arbitration at another prominent global law firm.
Jennifer currently sits on the Advisory Board of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration. Her past board service has been for the Harvard Club of New York City, where she also served on the Executive Committee, and for the Harvard Club of New York Historical Foundation.
In addition to her native English, Jennifer speaks fluent French, Italian, and Shanghainese, and has working knowledge of Spanish and Mandarin.
- Representing a music streaming service against several plaintiffs and a purported performing rights organization before the Central District of California, involving significant copyright and antitrust issues.
- Represented a realty corporation bringing a First Amendment freedom of expression challenge against the City of New York before the Southern District of New York.
- Represented AIG’s largest shareholder before the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals in bringing a Fifth Amendment illegal exaction challenge against the United States’ acquisition of AIG equity during the 2008 financial crisis, seeking recovery in excess of $40 billion.
- Spearheaded global strategy for confirmation and enforcement of an arbitral award in the United States (Western District of Washington, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals); the United Kingdom (High Court of Justice); India (New Delhi High Court); and France (Paris Court of Appeal).
- Represented a U.S. public utility seeking injunctive relief against a Spanish energy company before the District of Oregon and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented a private equity firm in successfully defending against fraud-based claims in New York state appellate court concerning the sale of a Canadian entity to an Australia entity.
- Mitigated pre-dispute risks for a leading French company in a multilateral joint venture governed by New York and Belgian law, successfully avoiding two disputes with joint venture partners.
- Lead associate of case team representing a Swiss beverage company against a U.S. licensee in a trademark dispute (ICDR, seated in New York).
- Advised Korean nuclear power company on IP licensing and arbitration issues in the context of a new project bid.
- Lead associate of case team representing a U.S. public utility against a Spanish energy company in a Hearing on Jurisdiction (ICC, seated in Portland, Oregon). Obtained favorable settlement, avoiding further arbitration on merits and quantum relating to the construction of a natural gas power generating station.
- Secured $1.2 billion award (collected in full following subsequent enforcement proceedings) for a Japanese telecommunications company against an Indian conglomerate, arising out of the latter’s failure to comply with contractual obligations (LCIA, seated in London).
- Secured $670 million award plus interest for a startup in the satellite communications technology sector against the Indian space agency, arising out of repudiation of a long-term satellite contract (ICC, seated in New Delhi).
- Won favorable jurisdiction/merits award for three Mauritian investors of the above startup, in parallel proceedings against the Republic of India under UNCITRAL Rules before the PCA in The Hague, regarding an investment valued in excess of $1.4 billion.
- Represented an Irish entity against a French aerospace company in a highly confidential dispute under Swiss law.
Harvard Law School, JD
Cornell University, BA, magna cum laude
- New York
- Advisory board member of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration
- Recognized as “key lawyer” in Legal 500 USA 2022 nationally ranked International Arbitration practice