Admitted to the Paris Bar, Edna is an associate in the Compliance, Regulatory and Investigations practice of the Paris office.
Edna regularly advises multinational companies in compliance matters related to anti-bribery and corruption, anti-money laundering and financing of terrorism, including the development, enhancement and implementation of anti-corruption and anti-money laundering compliance programs under international and national laws, regulations and principles. Moreover, she works closely with clients on matters including Fintech, Blockchain and Distributed Ledger Technologies, smart contracts and ICO's.
Edna also assists clients on a range of areas such as global investigations, corporate governance, sanctions, data protection, duty of care, corporate social responsibility, risk assessments, and third-party due diligence reviews.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Edna practiced in banking law in Mauritius as well as in France, gaining experience in financial regulation.
Mayer Brown’s Compliance practice in Paris is unrivalled in its global reach, it intervenes across all major areas of regulatory and corporate risk, and the team has particular experience in handling the most complex regulatory investigations and advice in significant and sensitive projects involving more than 50 countries across the Americas, Europe and Asia.
In addition to her native Spanish, Edna is fluent in French and English.
- Implementation of compliance plans required by the Sapin II law and the law on the duty of care for various international groups whose registered offices are in France.
- Implementation of anticorruption and anti-money laundering compliance plans for many international groups operating in France.
- Assistance and representation before the World Bank in the context of investigations and the monitoring of compliance programs.
- Drafting and review of global KYC and AML policies for international groups operating in France.
- Establishment of global risk mappings and implementation of compliance programs within international groups based in France.
- Organization of internal investigations in compliance matters, interviews with relevant executives, and analysis of documents in order to assess the risks of breaches to laws applicable in compliance matters for a company in the building sector.
- Implementation of guidelines in relation with the ethical charter of an international group, design and organization of training for executives in coordination with the group’s legal management: in-person and e-learning training sessions adapted to the sector-specific concerns).
- Implementation of a series of training sessions in France and in the United-Kingdom on the global risk of corruption for a French company in the publishing sector.
- Counsel to French companies on the occasion of stock exchange investigations conducted by US and Canadian regulators (SEC, CFTC, OCC, CFPB, AMF, OSC, OSFI and FINRA).
- Counsel to a France-based major international group at the occasion of investigations conducted by judicial authorities and a leading international organization regarding allegations of corruption in relation with the awarding of public procurements in Latin America and Africa.
- Setting-up of tools necessary to the maintenance of an efficient and continue compliance with French and US banking regulations within a major French bank.
- Organization of training sessions of sales representatives on at-risk practices in competition and corruption matters within an international group based in France and active in the building materials sector.
- Counsel to a French network manager on the implementation of a specific program for compliance to competition rules and organization of training sessions for in-house lawyers on the procedures of competition authorities and in particular in relation to investigations.
- Implementation of compliance programs in several major banks.
- Due diligence and assessment of compliance constraints on the occasion of external growth transactions, restructuring, financial or commercial transactions, in particular in the context of acquisitions or joint-ventures, partnerships, listing on markets or even commercial agreements.
- Assistance in the structuring of these transactions in order to ensure compliance with applicable anticorruption laws (including Sapin II Law, US FCPA and UK Bribery Act).
- Assistance in the drafting and negotiation of contractual clauses related to compliance questions in relation with these transactions.
Specific assistance on the occasion of audits on the hiring of foreign commercial agents, consultants or business partners.
Université de Paris XI, Master 2 in international business law
Université de Paris XI, Master 1 in business and financial law
ISIT – Institut Supérieur d’Interprétariat et de Traduction, Legal Translator