Sean Hummerstone is an associate in the Construction & Engineering group of the London office. His primary focus is on drafting and advising on all aspects of construction and engineering contracts, including both bespoke and standard forms such as JCT, FIDIC, IChemE and MF/1. Sean has experience of large international projects, including the development of the mining industry in Afghanistan and the expansion of the Panama Canal.
Sean also has experience of contentious construction matters, advising insurers, professionals and lenders in relation to litigation and alternative forms of dispute resolution.
Sean joined Mayer Brown as a trainee in 2010 and has spent 6 months seconded to a major global ratings agency. He is a member of Mayer Brown’s Public Procurement Group in London.
- Assisting in advice provided in relation to the building contract for the expansion of the Panama Canal.
- Drafting and advising in relation to the construction documentation for the fit out of tenant office space in the new building at 20 Fenchurch Street, London.
- Drafting and negotiating consultants’ appointments in relation to the base build and fit out of a UK research facility for an AIM-listed pharmaceuticals company, using IChemE forms of contract.
- Assisting in advice on the underlying construction documentation relating to the £105m purchase of Old Spitalfields Market, London.
- Assisting in advising a Spanish real estate investment fund in litigation concerning breaches of loan documentation in the construction of a London hotel (Grupo Hotelero Urvasco S.A. v Carey Value Added S.L. & Anor).
- Representing a firm of architects, and its insurers, in the defence of a claim brought in the TCC arising from works carried out at a substantial private property.
- Drafting and negotiating consultants’ appointments and ancillary construction documents in relation to the construction of hotels in central London and at a major UK international airport.
- Drafting and negotiating terms of a building contract and other construction documentation in relation to the multi-million pound refurbishment of a 5* hotel in London’s West End.
- Assisting in tender process advice provided to the US government and Afghanistan’s Ministry of Mines on the development of the mining industry in Afghanistan, as well as advice on the suitability of the country’s mining laws.
- Drafting and negotiating terms of a building contract relating to the fit-out of a UK office of a major global consumer goods company.
Kaplan Law School, LPC
The College of Law, London, GDL
University of Nottingham, BA (Hons) History
- England and Wales