“Daniel Gunzburger is ‘innovative’, and has ‘extensive experience from a myriad of transactions”.The Legal 500
Daniel Gunzburger is a partner in the Infrastructure and Corporate & Securities practices of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown based in the São Paulo office.
Daniel focuses primarily on high-end mergers and acquisitions as well as the formation of joint ventures and strategic alliances, with a robust track record advising key clients from the infrastructure, chemical and agribusiness industries. His practice also focuses on the new Brazilian ports legal framework as well as issues related to power and renewable energy.
He routinely assists with infrastructure and greenfield construction projects, providing front-end counsel on project documentation and dispute management to minimize risks arising from construction and engineering projects. He has extensive experience advising on construction contracts - including EPC and alliance deals - and on financing structures. Daniel also regularly provides assistance on the analysis of funds and certain capital markets projects.
A graduate of Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro (UERJ), Daniel holds an LL.M. degree from Columbia Law School in New York and an MBA from Insper – Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa. In addition to Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, Daniel is admitted to practice law in New York. Daniel is currently also lecturing agribusiness law at ESALQ – USP’s extension course.
- Advised ArcelorMittal AS in the acquisition of the total corporate capital of Companhia Siderúrgica do Pecém (CSP) for US$2.2 billion;
- Advised PepsiCo do Brasil in the transaction for the sale to Camil Alimentos S.A., of 100% of the companies CIPA Industrial de Produtos Alimentares Ltda. companies, responsible for the manufacture of cookies and crackers under the main brand “Mabel”, in addition to the brands “Doce Vida”, “Mirabel”, “Elbi’s” and “Pavesino”. The transaction also involved the sale of the machinery for the manufacture of "Toddy" cookies, along with the license of the "Toddy" trademark;
- Advised Dow Agrosciences in the acquisition of assets from a cooperative focused on development of cultivar and germplasm (transgenic);
- Advised Dow in the divestiture of its subsidiary Dopec Indústria e Comércio Ltda. in Brazil;
- Advised Bunge regarding acquisition of infrastructure assets, including but not limited to investment on port concession agreement;
- Provided advice to General Electric on investment on renewable energy company;
- Responsible counsel for ThyssenKrupp CSA project, a US$6 billion greenfield investment from ThyssenKrupp and Vale;
- Advised Dow in the formation of a joint venture with Mitsui & Co., Ltd.;
- Advised Dow in the cross-border transaction of sale of latex and polystyrene facilities to Styron Holding B.V. and Sty Acquisition Corp.;
- Advised Dow in the acquisition of shares in Crystalsev Participações Ltda.;
- Advised Nestlé in the acquisition of mineral water assets in Brazil and structuring alternatives to mitigate succession risks;
- Assisted Pecém Energia in a cross-border EPC agreement;
- Advised Cargill relation to the divestiture of Mosaic´s fertilizer business in Brazil;
- Advised Cargill on the sale of Cargill’s food animal business (Cargill Nutrição Animal Ltda.) for the French group Evialis;
- Advised Dow in the divestiture of assets to Unigel S.A.;
- Advised Howden in the construction contract for its plant in São Paulo;
- Advised Dow in the Divestiture of assets to Formitex da Bahia Ind. e Com. Ltda.;
- Acted in a structured project finance transaction involving the construction agreement for Wellstream plant in Rio de Janeiro;
- Advised Petrobras regarding the acquisition of Gas Brasiliano S.A.;
- Advised Suzano Bahia Sul Papel e Celulose on the expansion of its plant in the city of Mucuri, Bahia;
- Negotiated EPC contract and guarantees for Polietilenos S.A.;
- Negotiated construction and operation for the implementation of the tourism complex Sauípe in the State of Bahia.
- Advised in Rio Polímeros S.A. on the construction of the polystyrene facility and arbitration procedure against EPC contractor;
- Rendered several consulting services on corporate and regulatory law to Brazilian pension funds (PREVI, PETROS and SISTEL).
Columbia Law School, LLM
Insper - Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa, MBA
Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, UERJ, Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
- New York
- Professor of Corporate Law, Santa Úrsula University, Rio de Janeiro (2006-2007) – Classes related to corporate matters involving limited liability companies (based on the Brazilian Civil Code) and corporations (based on Brazilian corporate law)
- Professor of Agribusiness Law, ESALQ, USP – classes related to contractual issues involving Brazilian agribusiness, including but not limited to financing alternatives, joint development agreements for cultivars and germplasms and merger & acquisitions.
- Ranked in the 3rd tier for the Real Estate sector in Análise Advocacia, 2022
- Ranked in the 4th tier of Corporate in Análise Advocacia, 2022
- Ranked as ‘Recommended’ for Corporate and M&A in The Legal 500, 2021
- Ranked as ‘Recommended’ for Corporate and M&A in The Legal 500, 2019
- “Daniel Gunzburger is ‘innovative’, and has ‘extensive experience from a myriad of transactions” The Legal 500, 2016