"...distinguished for his resilience in criminal matters. He has experience across a range of white-collar matters involving tax, bankruptcy, securities and consumer fraud."Chambers USA 2004-2005
Ty served on the Management Committee of Mayer Brown from 1985 to 2007, including serving as co-Chairman (1998-2001) and Chairman (2001-2007).
Ty’s practice includes complex litigation, state and regulatory compliance matters, as well as advising audit committees and boards of directors. He has extensive jury trial experience in cases involving financial crimes, tax, securities, regulatory matters, multi-district, and class action litigation.
Ty has been featured in Leading lawyers Magazine (July 2010), and has been named among both America’s Leading Business Lawyers (Chambers USA) and the World’s Leading Business Lawyers (Euromoney). He also was named “2002 Person of the Year” by Chicago Lawyer Magazine. By appointment of President George W. Bush he serves on the Commission for the Preservation of America’s Heritage Abroad.
Ty is a former Attorney General of Illinois, where he served as the chief legal and law enforcement officer and prosecuted actions on behalf of the people and defended actions brought against the state, its constitutional officers, and its employees. In addition, he has served as Director of the Illinois Department of Law Enforcement and as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois.
Northwestern University School of Law, LLM, Ford Foundation Fellowship, 1969-1971
Wayne State University, JD
University of Michigan, BA
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Member
- Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago, former Director
- Business Executives for National Security (BENS), Former Member
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
- Chicago Chapter of the American Inns of Court, Member, former President
- Chicago Club, Member, former Director
- Chicago Council on Global Affairs, former Member of Director’s Circle
- Civic Committee of the Commercial Club of Chicago, Member, former President
- J. William Fulbright Board of Foreign Scholarships, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, United States Information Agency, 1988-1993
- John G. Shedd Aquarium, Trustee, former Chairman of the Board of Trustees
- National Association of Attorneys General / Society of Attorneys General Emeritus, Member
- Northwestern University School of Law, Law Board Committee, Former Member
- Pritzker Military Museum & Library, Director
- Republican Party of Illinois, Member, former Finance Chairman
- United Way, Former Board Member
- University of Michigan, Corporate Advisory Committee, Former Member
- Wayne State University, Law Board of Visitors, Member
- Wayne State University, Foundation Board, Member