Andrew Demko is a partner in Mayer Brown's Los Angeles office and a member of the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice. He helps companies in high-stakes disputes involving their customers. Andy has litigated hundreds of class and individual actions against financial services providers, banks and companies selling packaged foods and consumer products. His work includes not just class action litigation at the trial level but also appeals, regulatory matters and government enforcement actions.
Andy understands that class action litigation and other consumer disputes present serious risks for corporations and that a one-size-fits-all legal strategy does not work. He tailors his approach based on the strength of the claims, the amount in controversy, reputational risk and other factors. Taking those points into account, at the outset of each case, Andy identifies litigation goals with the client and creates a strategy to achieve them.
He has represented companies in a variety of industries, including financial services, media, entertainment, technology and securities. He also has experience with environmental and employment litigation, including ERISA lawsuits and wage and hour class actions.
In his class action practice, Andy has significant experience briefing issues on appeal and has successfully petitioned the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit for permission to appeal class-certification decisions. His appellate work builds on his experience, earlier in his career, serving as a law clerk to Judge Susan H. Black of the Eleventh Circuit.
Davidson College, AB
University of Notre Dame Law School, JD, magna cum laude
- US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US District Court for the Central District of California
- US District Court for the Eastern District of California
- US District Court for the Southern District of California
- Benchmark Litigation: Under 40 Hotlist, 2018–2019, 2021
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars: Southern California, 2012–2021
- The Legal 500 United States: Recommended Attorney, 2021