William Clerke is a South African qualified lawyer and senior associate in the Construction & Engineering group of the London office. He has substantial experience across a broad range of dispute resolution including litigation, arbitration, mediation and adjudication. He advises clients, which include employers, contractors, sub-contractors insurers and consultants in relation to disputes concerning matters such as defective works, delay and cost overruns and professional negligence under a variety of forms of construction contracts.
William has broad international experience and has advised in relation to large construction projects in Europe, the Middle East, the Caribbean, and Sub-Saharan Africa. He has a particular interest in renewable energy projects, including wind and solar. He has also worked on various high profile and complex construction and engineering disputes under different arbitration rules including ICC and LCIA rules and also on matters before the High Court and Court of Appeal in the England and Wales, as well as the Constitutional Court in South Africa.
William joined Mayer Brown in 2016 as an associate and was made up to senior associate in 2018. Prior to that, he worked at an international law firm in Johannesburg and Cape Town, South Africa.
William is also co-chair of the Firm’s LGBT+ network in the London office.
- Representing a multinational chemical company in an international ICC arbitration against its contractor arising out of the design and construction of a process plant facility in Finland.
- Representing a FTSE 100 company in a large professional negligence claim arising out of the development of a shopping centre in the UK.
- Representing a leading French contractor and its professional indemnity insurers in a large professional negligence claim arising out of the design and construction of a new power plant in Gibraltar.
- Representing one of the world's leading engineering, procurement, construction and project management companies in an international ICC arbitration with a state-owned petroleum company in relation to the construction of an oil refinery in the Caribbean.
- Representing the design and build contractor and its professional indemnity insurers on a number of disputes relating to the design of a number of waste to energy facilities – part of the Manchester Waste PFI project
- Representing the design and build contractor in a dispute relating to the design and construction of a shopping centre in Stoke-on-Trent under the JCT form of contract.
- Representing an international sponsor/developer in a complex multi-party litigation relating to the construction of two solar PV projects that form part of the renewable energy programme in South Africa. The dispute related to on demand guarantees, letters of credit (urgent high court applications) and the termination of two FIDIC EPC sub-contracts (private ad hoc arbitration) as well as cross-border insolvency issues.
- Representing a developer and its insurers in a professional negligence dispute with various subcontractors in relation to a fire that occurred during the construction of a hospital in South Africa.
- Representing a local developer and its insurers in relation to design defects that occurred during the construction of a waste management facility.
- Representing a developer and its insurers in dispute with various sub-contractors in relation to a fire that destroyed a paper factory in South Africa, which also killed 13 workers.
University of Cape Town
- South Africa
- Technology & Construction Solicitors Association