Matthew Chow is a senior associate in the Singapore office of Mayer Brown's Project Finance practice.
He has significant experience working with both project sponsors and lenders in the development of major power and infrastructure projects across the Middle East, Australia, Asia and the Americas, with a particular focus on South East Asia and Central Asia. Matthew has advised extensively on some of the largest projects in the region, including in Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Philippines, China, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore.
Matthew’s core practice includes advising on EPC and other construction contracts, PPAs, supply and offtake arrangements, concession agreements and other project documents across the energy, infrastructure and resources sectors.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Matthew spent significant time with a magic circle law firm, based in Singapore.
- Representing the project company on the development and financing of a US$2.2 billion 1,320 MW coal-fired power project and coal importation facility (including an innovative transhipment solution) in Pakistan.
- Advising project sponsors in relation to the development and financing of the Mabar 2x150MW coal-fired power plant located at Kawasan Industri Medan, North Sumatra, Indonesia.
- Advising the lenders on the development and financing of the 75MW Sidrap Wind Power Project in Indonesia.
- Advising the prospective lenders on the development of the 100MW Solar Photovoltaic Power Project in Dubai.
- Advising the lenders in relation to the EPC contracts for the construction of the Thang Long 2X300MW Coal-Fired Thermal Power Project, the Hai Duong 1,200MW Thermal Power Plant Project and the Mao Khe 2X220MW Coal-Fired Thermal Power Plant Project (all located in China).
- Acting for the project sponsors in relation to the development of the Xe-Ketam Hydro Power Project in Laos.
- Acting for the sponsors in relation to the development and financing of the Nam Ngiep 1 Hydropower Project in Laos.
- Acting for both ECAs and commercial lenders on the development of the 47MW Rajamandala Hydroelectric Power Plant IPP in Indonesia.
- Acting for the international and Philippines MLAs in relation to the construction of a 80MW wind farm on two adjacent wind sites, on the North West tip of Luzon, in Ilocos Norte, in the Philippines.
- Advising lenders on the EPC contracts for the construction of a 57MW solar energy power project in Thailand.
- Advising lenders on the EPC arrangements for the construction of the Baja California III IPP in Mexico.
- Advising lenders on the project documents for the construction of a wind power project in Chaiyaphum, Thailand.
- Acting for the bidders on the development of an IPP plant in Prai, Penang with capacity of 1,000-1,400MW and Pendekar's bid to the Malaysian Energy Commission.
- Acting for the lenders on the Vinh Tan 1 BOT coal-fired power plant project in Vietnam.
- Acting for the buyer on the US$2.4 billion purchase of 14 power plants owned and operated by Edra and Powertek, subsidiaries of 1MDB.
- Advising a major Japanese power company on the merger of its power business with Chubu Electric Power Co., Inc.
- Advising a major Thai power company on the acquisition of the Ywama Power Plant, a 50MW gas fired power plant located in West Ywama Ward, Insein Township, Yangon, Myanmar.
- Acting for a major global infrastructure fund on the acquisition of the Fujairah Oil Terminal, a 1.155 million cubic meter capacity petroleum crude project and storage terminal located in the Emirate of Fujariah, United Arab Emirates.
- Acting for a private equity fund on the US$260 million acquisition of a controlling stake in Hexaware Technologies Limited, a global provider of IT services.
- Advising a major global mining company on its A$5.1 billion merger with Aston Resources (which created the single largest independent coal company listed on the Australian Stock Exchange).
- Acting for Chinese sponsors on the development of the £3 billion Royal Albert Docks mixed use development project in London.
- Advising the project sponsors in relation to the development of the new Hanthawaddy International Airport in Yangon, Myanmar.
- Acting for the lenders on the S$1.59 billion financing and development of the North-South and East-West electricity cable tunnels project. These tunnels are Singapore Power's largest infrastructure project to date and are intended to house new transmission cables, which will form the backbone of Singapore's power supply for the coming decades. This deal won Asia-Pacific Transmission Deal of the Year 2012 at the Asia Project Finance Euromoney Awards.
- Advising project sponsors on the project documents for the construction of a manganese smelting plant in Sarawak, Malaysia, with an expected annual production capacity of 350,000 tonnes and a nominal electrical load of 270MW.
Oil and Gas and Petrochemicals
- Acting for project sponsors on the construction of a Linear Alkyl Benzene Plant in Thailand.
- Acting for project sponsors on the development and financing of a US$7 billion integrated petrochemicals complex in Ba Ria-Vung Tau, Vietnam.
- Advising project sponsors on the development of the Penerang Terminal in Malaysia (this forms part of the wider Refinery And Petrochemicals Integrated Development Project led by Petronas).
- Acting for lenders in relation to the provision of a mezzanine debt financing facility for the purchase of interests in the Wayang Windu Geothermal Power Plant in West java, Indonesia, the Kakap PSC in the Natuna Sea, Indonesia and the Natuna Sea Block A PSC in the Natuna Sea, Indonesia.
- Advising a subcontractor on the construction of over 400km of gas and water transmission pipelines and compression facilities for the A$16 billion Gladstone Liquefied Natural Gas Project in Queensland.
- Advising a major civil construction contractor (in the capacity of the subcontractor) on the construction of over 100km of access roads for A$16 billion Gladstone Liquefied Natural Gas Project.
- Advising a major civil construction contractor (in the capacity of the contractor) on the A$400 million Woleebee Creek to Glebe Weir Pipeline Project in Queensland, which involves the construction of a 120km pipeline for transporting water extracted from coal seams at the Queensland Curtis Liquefied Natural Gas Project.
- Acting for a global mining company on the construction of the A$527 million Narrabri Underground Coal Mine in New South Wales, Australia.
- Advising the project company on the operation and maintenance of the A$2 billion NCIG Coal Export Facility in New South Wales, Australia.
- Advising sponsors on the development of the A$1 billion Cobbora Coal Mine in Central New South Wales, Australia.
- Acting for a global mining company on the development of the Benga Coal Project in Mozambique.
- Acting for a major Australian civil construction contractor in contract negotiations for the construction of the A$3 billion Wiggins Island Coal Export Terminal in Queensland, Australia.
The University of Queensland, Bachelor of Laws
- Singapore (Foreign Lawyer)
- Australia, New South Wales
- High Court of Australia