Joanne is a newly-qualified associate in the Construction & Engineering practice in Mayer Brown's Hong Kong office, having previously worked as part of the team as a paralegal. She has experience in contentious construction work in terms of court proceedings and arbitrations, and also in a high-profile Commission of Inquiry matter.
Contentious Work Experience
- Acting for a major construction company on building summonses relating to construction material quality in a high-profile residential development project.
- Acting for a developer and operator of data centre in Hong Kong in relation to termination of service agreement and related court proceedings.
- Assisted in acting for MTRCL in the Commission of Inquiry into the Construction Works at and near the Hung Hom Station Extension under the Shatin to Central Link Project.
- Assisted in acting for a university in relation to the collapse of a roof structure on one of its campus buildings.
- Assisted in acting for developers in a successful town planning appeal concerning a proposal to convert a network of abandoned and commercial fish-ponds into a residential development and a nature reserve for wet-land conservation at Nam Sang Wai and Lut Chau, an area of ecological importance and a site of special scientific interest protected un-der the Ramsar Convention (Nam Sang Wai Development Company Ltd & Others v. Town Planning Board, Town Planning Appeal No. 1 of 2017 and 3 of 2014)
- Assisted in acting for an international contractor which is listed in Hong Kong in an arbitration in relation to disputes arising from a residential development project in Macau.
- Assisted in acting for a respondent employer in a consolidated arbitration proceeding under the HKIAC Domestic Arbitration Rules against main contractor in relation to a final account dispute. The Arbitrator’s final award was successfully setting aside twice on grounds of serious irregularity and procedural unfairness (P v. M  HKCFI 2280 and P v. M  HKCFI 1864).
- Assisted in acting for a claimant distributor based in the Middle East in an ad-hoc Hong Kong seated international arbitration concerning a breach of a distribution agreement.
Non-contentious Work Experience
- Assisted a joint venture in reviewing a large number of tender documents and consultancy agreements for a new logistics development in Hong Kong.
- Worked on a project in collaboration with a large Hong Kong NGO platform and an international bank to produce an anti-money laundering toolkit for NGOs.
- Worked in collaboration with a Hong Kong-based NGO to provide lessons and materials for domestic helpers in Hong Kong to understand the legal framework to develop a business in Hong Kong.
- Assisted a Hong Kong-based NGO to obtain a Hong Kong work visa for an incoming member of staff.
University of Sheffield, LLB
- Hong Kong