Alexandre Chequer is well known for his expertise in the oil and gas industry and remains highly active in M&A, joint ventures and the development of upstream, midstream and downstream projects. He is additionally noted for his experience advising on heavy industries and LNG projects.Chambers Latin America
Alexandre Chequer is a partner of Mayer Brown and of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown. He is head of the Oil & Gas group at Mayer Brown. He focuses on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, projects and infrastructure development. Alex has represented numerous oil and gas/energy companies on transactions involving the purchase and sale oil and gas properties offshore Brazil, Africa and other basins around the world. Alex's oil and gas/energy development projects include LNG, pipelines, refinery, petrochemical, gas power plants, FPSOs, FSRUs and platform-based offshore developments, and integrated field development, (pipeline and processing projects); and mergers and acquisition (including auction and negotiated sales and property exchanges). Alex has experience with the structuring, documentation, and negotiation of oil and gas/energy transactions that range from host government arrangements, farmin/farmout, equity acquisitions to shareholder agreements, operating agreements, unitizations and international energy arbitrations on oil and gas/energy assets.
Alexandre has experience with the structuring, documentation, and negotiation of oil and gas transactions that range from host government arrangements, farm-ins, and acquisitions to shareholder agreements, operating agreements, and unitizations to EPC, production handling, transportation, and sales contracts.
Reflecting his pre-eminence in project development and business transactions, he has been selected for "Leaders in their Field" recognition in the areas of corporate/M&A, energy and natural resources and oil and gas law by Chambers Latin America (2007 through 2015). He also has received “Leaders in their Field” designations (general business law and overseas specialists) from Chambers Global (2007 through 2015). In addition, Alexandre has been listed in The International Who's Who of Oil and gas Lawyers (2007 through 2015) and Legal 500 in 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Alexandre has represented numerous energy companies in a wide range of projects. His notable clients and engagements have included:
- Represented an Angolan national oil company in one of the largest integrated LNG projects in the world, the Angola LNG project, with investments of more than US$10 billion in Angola and the US.
- Represented a major provider of international and domestic offshore contract drilling services in the organization of its operations and negotiation of drilling contracts in Angola, Mexico and Egypt.
- Represented a leading oil service field company in the negotiation and organization of 2 joint ventures in Angola for the construction of manufacturing facilities with investments of more than US$100 million.
- Represented a super major Brazilian oil company in the negotiation of joint ventures and in the analysis of two “Contratos de Serviços Múltiplos” for the exploration and production of natural gas in Fronterizo and Cuervito blocks Mexico, for the total amount of US$525 million.
- Represented a project developer of a US$1.3 billion fertilizer plant on the border of Brazil and Bolivia.
- Represented a project developer of the first ethanol pipeline project in Brazil, valued at US$1.1 billion.
- Represented a major Chinese construction company in the construction of a US$2 billion pipeline project in Brazil.
- Represented an Angolan national oil company in the project development of a US$1 billion regasification plant in Louisiana, USA.
- Represented a leading oil field service company in the construction and operation of two floating production, storage and offloading installations (FPSOs) valued at US$2.2 billion.
- Represented a major energy company in the construction and acquisition of power plants in Brazil, Venezuela and Mexico.
- Represented energy and oil and gas companies in negotiating joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions and regulatory issues in Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, Angola and Nigeria.
- Represented one of the world's largest energy companies in the due diligence of the privatization of a natural gas utility in Brazil.
- Represented one of the largest international oil and natural gas services companies in the negotiation and organization of a joint venture in Argentina with investments of more than US$70 million.
- Represented an international oil company in the first arbitration against the Brazilian government.
- Represented an Angolan national oil company in the negotiation of contracts for exploration and production of petroleum in the Quaiyarah and Najmah contract areas in Iraq.
- Represented Occidental Oil and Gas Corporation in the negotiation of 2 PSAs and JOAs with Sonangol EP in Angola.
- Represented a leading Korean energy company in the US$2.4 billion sale of its Brazilian assets to a global oil and gas company.
- Represented the Thai NOC in the acquisition of supermajor assets in deepwater offshore Brazil.
- Represented a major Latin America NOC, in its first project in Africa, in the acquisition of Statoil’s 10% participating interest in Blocks 38/11 and 39/11 (Kwanza Basin), located offshore Angola.
- Represented a global steel company based in the United Kingdom and owned by a Russian billionaire in a US$800 million deal for the formation of a joint venture with a Brazilian steel mill.
- Represented an Angolan national oil company in the acquisition of the Luanda refinery plus exploration and production assets in the amount of US$1.3 billion.
- Represented a leading Japanese general trading firm in the acquisition of shares to consolidate its position as the controlling shareholder of a Swiss company that owns the totality of the shares issued by a leading Brazilian agribusiness company in the amount of US$1 billion.
- Represented a major Danish oil and gas company in the acquisition of exploration and production rights of Block BM-C 34, in the pre-salt layer in Brazil, valued at US$300million.
- Represented Encana Corporation in the sale of Encana Brazil for Hydro ASA, valued at US$350 million in Brazil.
- Represented a major Danish oil and gas company in the disposition of a 20% participating interest and transfer of operatorship to OGX in Concessions BM-C-37 and BM-C-38 in Brazil.
- Represented an American independent oil company in the acquisition of OXY ANGOLA
- Represented Vale S.A., on the assignment to GDF Suez E&P International S.A. of 20% participation in concessions BT-PN-2 and BT-PN-3 (Parnaíba Basin).
- Represented a major Brazilian oil and gas company in the post-closing issues of Tranportadora de Gas del Sur in the $1.8 billion acquisition of Perez Companc in Argentina.
- Represented a leading provider of flow equipment products, systems and services to worldwide oil, gas and process industries in the due diligence and negotiation involving the acquisition of a Brazilian manufacturer of onshore/offshore valves and wellhead equipment in Brazil.
- Represented a super major in the acquisition of a 40% participating interest from Petrobras in four blocks in the Equatorial Margin, Brazil.
- Represented a Spanish oil and gas company in connection with the due diligence and negotiation of documents for the acquisition of a participating interest in a oil & gas concession in Brazil.
- Represented a leader in the Brazilian oil industry with post-closing issues in the US$1.8 billion acquisition of a large natural gas extractor company in Argentina.
- Represented one of the largest international oil and natural gas services in the acquisition of a petroleum services company in Brazil.
- Represented a leading provider of flow equipment products, systems and services to worldwide oil, gas and process industries in the acquisition of the valves division of an oil company in Brazil.
- Represented the Colombian NOC in the acquisition of 10% participating interest in two Blocks (PSAs), in the Kwanza Basin, Angola.
- Represented the Brazilian government in the drafting of petroleum laws, concession agreements and decrees for opening the energy sector in Brazil.
- Represented several national and international oil and gas exploration and production companies in connection with the qualification and bidding for exploratory blocks in the ANP Bid Rounds
- Represented a major international company in the negotiation of the first unitization agreement and unit operating agreement (UOA) executed in Brazil.
- Represented a major company in the unitization of Block BM-CAL-04 with the concessionaire of Block BCAM-40, located in Camamu-Almada Basin, Brazil.
- Represented a super major company in connection with an unitization involving two concessions that straddle into an open acreage (within the pre-salt area) in Brazil.
- Represented a super major company in connection with the Xerelete Field unitization, located in Campos Basin, Brasil.
- Currently representing an independent European company in the negotiations of the pre-unitization agreement, the unitization agreement and the unit operating agreement for a field in Campos Basin, currently under development offshore Brazil.
- Currently representing a major company in connection with a unitization involving a concession area (Lula Field – one of the largest Fields of the Brazilian pre-salt layer) that straddles into an area of “onerous assignment” to Petrobras and an open acreage in the pre-salt area. Such unitization is a pioneer case in Brazil, since it involves three different E&P regimes – concession, production sharing and “onerous assignment”.
- Represented the Ministry of Petroleum of Angola in the negotiations of the cross-border unitization of Cabinda area with the government of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Represented Petronas on issues arising from a proposed unitization arrangement with neighboring blocks in Su Tu Nau area, in Vietnam, including the revision of the unitization agreement and joint development agreement, assessing the implications of conceding to new rules and regulations and its effects on the rights and obligations under the separate PSC of each block.
- Represented China National Offshore Oil Corporation – CNOOC in the qualification for the 1st Pre-salt Bid Round in Brazil and all actions related to the payment of the signature bonus and signing of the 1st Production Sharing Agreement in Brazil – named 2013’ Regulatory Deal of the Year by Latin Lawyer magazine.
- Represented a Brazilian independent oil and gas E&P company in connection with regulatory issues related to the acquisition of another Brazilian independent oil and gas E&P, case in which for the first time the ANP accepted the return of Performance Guarantees from qualified Operators.
- Represented the Ministry of Petroleum of Angola on OPEC matters and on drafting a variety of legislation, including Angola’s Gas Law, Biofuels Law and Downstream Law.
- Represented the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation in the drafting of the Biofuels Law for Nigeria.
- Represented an Angolan oil and gas company with drafting Decree Bill regarding amendments on the profit oil shares to Angolan Companies.
Harvard University, MA in Corporate and Business Law
Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio), Bachelor of Law (JD equivalent)
- Not admitted in Texas. Practicing under the supervision of firm principals.
- Member, Board of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN), 2002-2006
- Member, International Bar Association (IBA)
- Member, Instituto Brasileiro de Petróleo e Gás (IBP)
- Lecturer, “Energy Regulation,” post-graduate course in business law, Brazilian Institute of Capital Markets, since 2002
- "Name partner Alexandre Chequer heads the practice in São Paulo and earns praise as a talented rainmaker." Latin Lawyer 250 2018 - Energy
- "Alexandre Chequer, who is renowned for his oil and gas expertise." Latin Lawyer 250 2018 - Projects
- "Alexandre Chequer, who is the point man for a number of major clients and held in very high regard." Latin Lawyer 250 2018 - Corporate and M&A
- He draws on his extensive track record to advise on major hydrocarbons projects. Chambers Latin America 2018
- "an incredibly knowledgeable lawyer who has provided us with brilliant and pragmatic advice," Chambers Latin America 2018
- "He is very responsive and has delivered on every single occasion." Chambers Latin America 2018
- "He is one of the most renowned lawyers in the oil and gas market." Chambers Latin America 2018
- Alexandre Chequer is well known for his expertise in the oil and gas industry and remains highly active in M&A, joint ventures and the development of upstream, midstream and downstream projects. He is additionally noted for his experience advising on heavy industries and LNG projects. Chambers Latin America 2018
- "heads the team and is considered to be a respected figure in the oil and gas sector" Chambers Latin America 2017 - Oil & Gas
- "an excellent developer" Chambers Latin America 2017 - Oil & Gas
- "accomplished lawyer" Chambers Latin America 2017 - Oil & Gas
- "experience, knowledge and availability" Chambers Latin America 2017 - Oil & Gas
- "is acknowledged in the market for his expertise in the oil and gas sector" Chambers Latin America 2017 - Projects
- "He also has experience conducting joint ventures " Chambers Latin America 2017 - Projects
- "He's able to handle and anticipate our needs [...] a very solid lawyer." Chambers Latin America 2016
- "A renowned dealmaker, able to be both a top rainmaker and an excellent technical lawyer. A great choice for oil & gas companies. They are always very diligent, answer my requests quickly and are available to attend meetings to improve the strategy that should be adopted. [...] excellent expertise." Latin Lawyer 250 2016
- "Alexandre Chequer is renowned for his oil and gas expertise." Latin Lawyer 2016 Projects
- "Alexandre Chequer is also prominent." Latin Lawyer 2016 Banking & Finance
- "Alexandre Chequer is point man for a number of major clients." Latin Lawyer 2016 Corporate and M&A
- "Leading name.” WWL 2015 Energy
- "Alexandre Chequer is an acclaimed oil and gas lawyer who also stands out in infrastructure. He's very good at representing clients before the regulatory agencies," say sources, "and he puts all his resources into helping them achieve their goals." "Alexandre Chequer is much acclaimed for his industry expertise and focuses his practice on M&A, joint ventures and infrastructure development." "Alexandre Chequer wins clients praise as a superb relationship partner, who is very practical and energetic with a can-do attitude and an agreeable personality." Chambers 2014
- "Alexandre Chequer combines strong corporate and project expertise with deep knowledge of the Oil & Gas industry. He co-heads a gloal energy industry team across Mayer Brown." Chambers 2013
- "…rainmaker for oil and gas issues and is noted for his experience, technical knowledge and great client service..." "…outstanding lawyer with strong presence and real authority… he has in-depth knowledge and passion for the subject…" Chambers 2012
- "The 'exceptional' practice head Alexandre Chequer is 'extremely dedicated to clients' and a 'savvy negotiator'. Chequer 'understands how to mediate between Brazilian and international expectations'." The Legal 500 2012
- "Clients value his extensive knowledge of the Brazilian legal system and his ability to bridge the cultural gap for companies based abroad." Chambers Directory 2011, Latin America’s Top Twenty Oil & Gas Experts