Large corporations turn to Joe Callaghan for his deep experience in product liability, including mass torts and class actions, as well as environmental, complex commercial, and other sophisticated litigation in state and federal courts and ADR proceedings nationwide. Joe provides counsel in all phases of litigation, from pre-suit investigations and negotiations through trial and appeal. He represents clients including Fortune 100 multinational conglomerates, chemical and automotive product manufacturers, and life sciences, healthcare, and tech companies.
Joe guides and supports our clients as national counsel in expansive and cutting-edge product liability and environmental litigation. Clients seek him out for his experience in the development, implementation, and execution of complex litigation strategies in thousands of lawsuits in jurisdictions across the country. He coordinates the efforts of local and regional counsel, and oversees discovery, motion practice, and trial preparation. Joe also works closely with fact and expert witnesses who are central to the defense of these mass toxic tort actions. Corporations facing high-stakes lawsuits seeking damages awards ranging from millions to billions of dollars have also repeatedly tapped Joe to work on trial teams.
National counsel for:
- Technology and manufacturing company in nationwide mass tort and environmental litigation and regulatory proceedings concerning synthetic chemicals (PFAS).
- Material science and technology company in nationwide mass tort litigation concerning mineral-based consumer and industrial products.
- Insurance products and services company in nationwide mass tort litigation, including employee claims for workplace exposures to asbestos.
- Agricultural and food products processor in nationwide mass tort litigation principally asserting premises liability claims
Joe has also recently served as:
- Appellate counsel to multinational engineering and consulting company in post-judgment proceedings in mass tort litigation.
- Consulting counsel to runoff and specialty insurer in potential acquisitions of companies with significant historical product liability exposures.
- Regular advisor to M&A deal teams and in-house counsel on potential litigation exposures.
University of Notre Dame Law School, JD, cum laude
Associate Editor, Journal of College & University Law; President, Moot Court Board
Loras College, BA, magna cum laude
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- US District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Public Interest Law Initiative, Board Member
- Chicago Bar Association
- Pro bono counsel in immigration and LGBTQ+ rights matters