Legal 500, Next Generation Partner / Chambers
Miriam is "tenacious and engaging' 'commercial and pragmatic. Excellent. Very responsive."
"Miriam is a brilliant lawyer who has an uncanny ability to simplify even the most knotty of legal dilemmas." She "is absolutely excellent - super responsive and creative in her approach."
Miriam is a partner in the London Employment Group. She has been recognized in the legal directories for a number of years and is listed as a "Next Generation Partner" by Legal 500 2022 and an “Up and Coming” Partner in Chambers & Partners 2022.
Highly experienced, Miriam deals with a wide range of contentious and non-contentious employment law matters and acts for clients across a variety of sectors, including insurance, financial services, retail and manufacturing. She has a particular interest in diversity, equity and inclusion matters and has led teams on innovative and award winning multi-jurisdictional projects in this area. Read more here >>
Her advisory experience includes providing strategic input on issues such as: restructuring and contractual change programmes as well as business transfers (both in the UK and internationally), executive and senior level recruitment, employee data privacy, and complex investigations and related disciplinary and grievance matters. Miriam has particular experience in managing global employment law projects across a number of jurisdictions on issues including cross-border redundancies, outsourcings and the collection and storage of diversity data. She regularly advises on the employment implications of high profile administration and/or restructuring matters. Read more here>>
Miriam’s contentious experience includes acting for employers in complex Employment Tribunal hearings. She also has significant experience in both the Employment Appeal Tribunal and High Court, dealing with high profile and high value discrimination and breach of contract claims.
Miriam speaks regularly at internal and external events on employment law related issues.
Miriam joined Mayer Brown in 2005 as a trainee and qualified in 2007.
Inns of Court School of Law, Legal Practice Course
City University, London, Post Graduate Diploma in law
University of Durham, BA (Hons) Modern Languages
- England and Wales
- Band 4: Employment. Miriam Bruce is a partner at Mayer Brown who regularly advises clients from the financial services and insurance industries on the full range of employment matters. She is experienced in unfair dismissal and discrimination claims. "Miriam is a brilliant lawyer who has an uncanny ability to simplify even the most knotty of legal dilemmas." "Miriam is a pleasure to work with. She is a commercially astute lawyer who has an ability to apply her wide-ranging understanding of the law while recognising and balancing risks to the business." "She is absolutely excellent - super responsive and creative in her approach." - Chambers UK 2024.
- Listed as a Next Generation Partner and key lawyer for Employers - 'Stand-out partners are Miriam Bruce and Chris Fisher. Both of whom always have their client’s ear. They combine commercial common-sense and robust legal analysis.' 'Commercial and understanding. Excellent client service mindset.' 'Miriam Bruce – tenacious and engaging. Commercial mindset and pragmatism.' 'Miriam Bruce is excellent. Very responsive. Is commercial and pragmatic.' 'The Mayer Brown team provide practical and pragmatic advice to us. They are very easy to work with and reliable.' 'Miriam Bruce is a really smart and practical lawyer. She always sets us at ease, even when we’re dealing with a complex matter or a difficult individual.' 'Top litigation team for employment disputes, especially High Court Injunction work'. - Legal 500 2024.
- Up and Coming Employment. Miriam Bruce is a highly regarded partner who regularly advises clients from the financial services and insurance industries on the full range of employment matters. She is experienced in unfair dismissal and discrimination claims. "She is very pragmatic, she has a great depth of knowledge in employment law and she provides very sound advice." "Miriam is very pragmatic; she can see the wider commercial picture beyond the strict legal position, her responses are always very timely and she is an effective communicator." - Chambers UK 2023.
- Highly experienced handling disputes in the financial services, Miriam is listed as a Next Generation Partner and key lawyer for Employment. 'Her approach to litigation is grounded in sound commercial common sense. Clients – and her team – rightly trust her judgment.’ – Legal 500 2023.
- Winner: Standout Diversity in Innovation – Legal Innovation Awards 2022.
- Recognition: Legal Technology Trailblazers – National Law Journal 2022.
- Up and coming, Miriam Bruce is a highly regarded partner who regularly advises clients from the financial services and insurance industries on the full range of employment matters. She is experienced in unfair dismissal and discrimination claims. "She is very pragmatic, she has a great depth of knowledge in employment law and she provides very sound advice." "Miriam is very pragmatic; she can see the wider commercial picture beyond the strict legal position, her responses are always very timely and she is an effective communicator." – Chambers UK 2022
- Listed as a 'Next Generation Partner' and under 'Other key lawyers' for Employers, all-round employment law specialist Miriam Bruce is 'clever, good judgement, dedicated, warm.’ She 'is a lovely person to work with, personable and client-focused. She generates trust quickly. She delivers technical advice in a comprehensible, accessible way.’ and she 'has been excellent on a significant team move matter she handled for us – unflappable under pressure and generally very personable and easy to deal with.' – Legal 500 2022.
- In a significant development to the team, the 'excellent' Miriam Bruce was promoted to partner in January 2020. Her recent work includes transactional support on high-value deals, strategic advisory work and handling sensitive exits of senior executives. Listed as a 'Next Generation Partner' and under 'Other key lawyers'. Miriam Bruce is excellent: intelligent, client-focused and super-savvy. Miriam Bruce and Paris partner Julien Haure are incredibly responsive; always on hand to help and able to judge urgency very well. Practical and effective advice and they take the time to discuss and understand the matter fully’ – Legal 500 2021, Employers.
- Listed as 'Up and Coming' and an 'associate to watch', Miriam Bruce is a highly regarded associate who regularly advises clients from the financial services and insurance industries, among others, on the full range of employment matters. Clients praise her "in-depth understanding of the impacts and risks for our organisation" and describe her as "extremely pragmatic in providing advice and guidance." - Chambers UK 2020.
- Listed as a 'Rising star' and under 'Other key lawyers' by Legal 500 2020. 'Senior associate Miriam Bruce is also a key member of the team'.
- Listed as an associate to watch, Miriam Bruce is "very organised, knowledgeable and sensible." She is an associate within the team and advises clients on both contentious and non-contentious matters. – Chambers UK 2019.
- Listed as a Next Generation Lawyer and key name to note - Legal 500 2018.
- Senior associate Miriam Bruce is experienced at handling a range of employment law matters for clients in the financial services, retail and manufacturing sectors. She is noted as being "highly responsive, practical, sensible and always clear and straightforward." – Chambers UK 2018.
- Ranked as a Next Generation Lawyer – Legal 500 2017.
- Associate Miriam Bruce has been highlighted for her "excellent and responsive advice." – Chambers UK 2017.
- Mayer Brown International LLP’s "excellent" team is "an authority in employment" and "should be a first stop for City clients" .... includes senior associate Miriam Bruce, who is "a real joy" – Legal 500 2016.
- Recommended – Legal 500 2015.
- Ranked as a "Rising Star" in Thomson Reuters’ Super Lawyers magazine for 2014, employment section.