The nation’s preeminent financial institutions rely on Michael Bornhorst for defense against a broad range of class and individual actions brought in federal and state courts across the country. Michael has successfully represented clients in litigation involving a wide variety of consumer-based claims, including the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Servicemembers' Relief Act (SCRA), False Claims Act (FCA), Homeowner’s Bill of Rights (HBOR), and many state consumer protection statutes. In addition to successfully navigating through discovery and dispositive motion practice, Michael frequently assists his clients with arriving at creative solutions early in the dispute to reduce litigation spend and impact on the business. And when necessary, Michael has successfully defended his client’s trial court victories on appeal.
Michael also assists his clients in regulatory proceedings involving state attorneys general, the Department of Justice, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Businesses and individuals also come to him in complex commercial disputes involving software licensing and franchise agreements.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, he was a writer for numerous television studios and networks, including CBS, Warner Bros., Paramount and 20th Century Fox.
Clients served by Michael include Citibank, Wells Fargo, and Caliber Home Loans.
- Defended Fortune 100 financial institutions in several putative class actions brought under the TCPA.
- Defended Fortune 100 financial institutions against a putative class actions brought under RESPA, FDCPA, FCRA, and other consumer protection statutes.
- Defended Fortune 100 financial institution in a putative class action concerning residential mortgage loan modifications under HAMP.
- Defended Fortune 100 financial institution against a putative class action brought under RESPA.
- Defended Fortune 100 financial institutions in several TCPA claims brought by individual plaintiffs.
- Represented claimant in an international arbitration against a global software provider, successfully establishing a breach of a multimillion dollar enterprise software license.
Cornell Law School, JD
Northwestern University, BS
- US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court for the Southern District of Illinois