'Andrew Block has strong interpersonal skills, sound judgement and is overall an excellent lawyer'Legal 500 2020
Andrew Block is a partner in the Pensions practice of the London office. He advises trustees and employers in relation to all types of UK pension schemes. This includes project work such as rule re-writes, scheme mergers and the pensions aspects of corporate reorganisations, as well as day to day advisory work.
Andrew also advises in relation to the pensions aspects of public and private M&A transactions and listings.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2012, Andrew was a partner in the pensions practice of another leading City law firm. He trained at a Magic Circle firm and qualified into its pensions department in 2001.
As well as day to day advice, Andrew’s recent experience includes:
- advising trustees on the legal aspects of investment products, including swaps and other derivatives
- advising an automotive group on the transfer of its pension schemes to the PPF through a solvent restructuring
- advising a FTSE listed group which has an FSA-regulated component on a restructuring which involved a 3 way merger of its pension schemes
- advising the trustees of a pension scheme sponsored by a FTSE listed group on a contingent asset funding proposal
- advising trustees and employers in relation to enhanced transfer value and pension increase exchange exercises
- advising on the pensions aspects of flotations
St John's College, Cambridge
BA (Hons), 1996
- England and Wales
- Listed under 'Other key lawyers' (Legal 500 2022: Pensions: Dispute Resolution).
- Listed under 'Other key lawyers' and 'recommended personnel' (Legal 500 2021, Pensions: Dispute Resolution).
- 'Andrew Block has strong interpersonal skills, sound judgement and is overall an excellent lawyer'; also listed under 'Other key lawyers' (Legal 500 2020 - Pensions)
- Listed as a key name (Legal 500 2018).
- The team includes the "responsive" Andrew Block (Legal 500 2017).
- Clients single out Andrew Block (Legal 500 2016).
- "More user friendly than most", Mayer Brown International LLP is noted for its experience in the field [Pensions], ability to "add value in discussion", and "give practical guidance". ... and the "clearthinking" Andrew Block ... (Legal 500 2015).
- "Andrew Block has excellent knowledge that enables robust solutions in very quick timescales" (Legal 500 2011).