Fernanda Bastos is counsel in the Tax practice of Tauil & Chequer Advogados in the Rio de Janeiro office. Fernanda Bastos performs in the areas of tax consulting and tax litigation, advising Brazilian and foreign clients in such industries as energy (oil and gas), real estate, hospitality and leisure (hotel and resorts), industrial goods and services, infrastructure, media and entertainment, telecommunications, retail and technology.
Fernanda Bastos initiated the private practice of tax law as a trainee at Lobo & Ibeas Advogados, in 2001, where she was hired as lawyer after graduating from Law School and where she worked until the end of 2008. She joined Campos Mello Advogados in January 2009, where she was a senior tax associate until September 2015. In October 2015, Fernanda Bastos joined Tauil & Chequer Advogados.
- Conducted legal assessments on various due diligence processes regarding tax matters of major companies from a range of industries, such as food processing and mining.
- Represented a large telecommunication company (Tim Celular S.A.), among other clients, in multiple relevant administrative and judicial tax litigation and assisted the same in various tax consulting issues.
- Assisted a large hospitality company (Marriott International, Inc.) in structuring deals for the construction, management and franchising of hotels in Brazil.
- Assisted several companies in respect of customs issues and special customs regimes and represented them in related administrative and judicial litigation.
- Assisted a semiconductor manufacturing company (Unitec Semicondutores S.A.) in structuring local and international agreements for the construction and commissioning of its plant in a tax efficient way.
- Assisted certain American technology companies in defining their tax model for Brazil operations.
- Regularly rendered advice to clients in connection with the taxation of non-resident revenues and capital gains earned in Brazil; taxation of information technology and communication; taxation of oil and gas activities, including the application of special customs regimes such as the REPETRO, Temporary Admission and drawback.
- Regularly rendered tax advice to clients of different industry segments on their usual transactions.