William J. Barrow is an associate in Mayer Brown’s Washington DC office and is a member of the Intellectual Property Group. Bill protects and defends clients’ intellectual property rights in district courts throughout the country, and before the US International Trade Commission (ITC) and US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Having begun his career prosecuting electrical and computer software patents, Bill is often sought out for his understanding of the interplay between litigation and USPTO procedure. His experience in this regard leads to the early identification of favorable case strategies and mechanisms for implementing those strategies in concert with his clients’ business goals. Clients rely on Bill not just to manage their matters, but as a trusted advisor to advance and protect their business interests before, during, and after litigation.
Bill’s litigation experience spans over ten years and countless industries, with a particular emphasis on consumer electronics, telecommunications, software, and automobiles. Bill has litigated cases from inception through trial, on the plaintiff and defendant side; has counseled numerous foreign companies on navigating the US market; and advises smaller businesses on how to leverage and protect their intellectual property.
In 2018, Bill played a critical role in obtaining a $43.3 million verdict from ZTE USA on behalf of Maxell, Ltd., conducting direct and cross examinations of key technical witnesses at trial. Bill has also secured numerous early favorable settlements for clients in defensive patent litigations, leveraging his experience before the US Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) in the process.
Bill is frequently invited to speak and write on complex intellectual property issues, including IP valuation, licensing, and post grant proceedings before the PTAB. Bill is also substantially active in a number of legal organizations, devotes substantial time to advancing diversity and inclusion in the legal industry, and contributes regularly to various firm initiatives:
- Bill recently served as Chair of the Intellectual Property Section of the National Bar Association (NBA)—the nation’s oldest and largest national network of predominantly African-American attorneys and judges. Bill has also served in various leadership roles on the Patent Litigation Committee of the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA).
- In 2018, Mayer Brown selected Bill as its Fellow for the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD)—an organization of nearly 300 members, consisting of general counsel of major corporations and managing partners of the nation’s leading law firms, whose goal is to facilitate the development of diverse legal talent for positions of leadership.
- Bill is the Chair and founder of Mayer Brown Black Lawyers (DC), an affinity group Bill established to foster and promote the recruiting and retention of African-American attorneys in Mayer Brown’s Washington, DC office. In addition to advancing the interests of this affinity group, Bill also works with firm management and the other affinity group leaders to identify ways to increase diversity and inclusion across the firm.
- Bill also devotes a significant portion of his time to mentoring younger attorneys through his involvement in the NBA, AIPLA, and LCLD.
- Bill is active in Mayer Brown’s pro bono program. In 2016, Bill helped secure the release of a client by successfully convincing the US Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit that new case law should apply retroactively under Teague v. Lane.
- Bill is an active member of the Washington DC office’s Associates and Recruiting Committees.
Since 2014, Bill has been recognized as a "Rising Star" in intellectual property by Super Lawyers Magazine. In his spare time, Bill enjoys cycling and martial arts.
- Presently representing Maxell, Ltd. in a number of US district court patent litigation matters pertaining to smart phone technology. Key contributor on trial team (conducting direct and cross examinations of witnesses at trial) that secured $43.3 million verdict against ZTE USA in E.D. Tex.
- Represented LG Electronics, Inc. in a variety of US district court matters pertaining to telecommunications and various other aspects of mobile phones and tablets. Role included managing day to day operations of cases; working closely with client to develop litigation and technical strategies, including with respect to reexamination and petitions for inter partes review (IPR); managing team of associates on technical, legal, damages, and discovery-related issues; arguing in court, e.g., at Markman hearings and regarding various discovery, legal, and pre-trial issues; and taking and defending fact and expert depositions.
- Represented LG Display in a patent infringement suit (D. Del.) and related PTAB proceeding that eventually culminated in cancellation of asserted claims and dismissal of litigation with prejudice. Relevant experience included managing day to day operations of case; developing litigation and technical strategies; preparing and successfully arguing IPR petition before PTAB.
- Represented General Motors against allegations of patent infringement regarding vehicle stereo systems in E.D. Tex. Role included managing technical module of case, and developing technical and licensing positions for same; arguing claim terms at Markman hearing; and taking and defending fact and expert depositions.
- Represented Mitsubishi Electric before ITC against allegations of patent infringement regarding Smart TVs. Role included developing technical positions for patents; and taking and defending fact and expert depositions.
- Represented Hyundai and Kia before ITC against allegations of patent infringement regarding in-dash GPS navigation systems. Role included managing technical module of case; managing team of associates on technical and discovery-related issues; and taking and defending fact and expert depositions.
American University Washington College of Law, JDSenior Staff, Administrative Law Review
University of Pennsylvania, BS, Electrical Engineering
- District of Columbia
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US Patent and Trademark Office
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, DC City Lead (2019-2020), Fellow (2018)
- National Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section, At-Large (2018-Present), Chair (2017-2018), Vice Chair (2016-2017), CLE Coordinator (2015-2016)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Co-Chair of Patent Litigation Committee’s Subcommittee on Diversity, and Vice Chair of Professional Programs Subcommittee, and CLE Program Coordinator
- Chair and Founder of Mayer Brown Black Lawyers (DC)
- American Bar Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- ITC Trial Lawyers Association