Ali Auda is a senior associate in the Construction & Engineering team and International Arbitration group of the London office. He has recently completed a secondment to the Dubai office. He has experience of working with clients on projects globally, particularly in the energy & infrastructure sectors, focusing on the resolution of construction disputes in international arbitration.
Ali is a native Arabic speaker and has an interest in matters connected with the Middle East. He joined Mayer Brown in 2017 from a leading US firm where he spent part of his training on secondment to Abu Dhabi focusing on energy, infrastructure, project and asset finance projects.
Construction (including arbitration matters)
- Advising on a number of ICC arbitrations in connection with the design and construction of a major maritime project in Central America.
- Advising on a dispute arising out of a series of contracts for the Engineering Procurement and Construction of facilities to support our clients oil field expansion scheme in Iraq.
- Advising our client on a sub-contract dispute in relation to consultancy services for the management of a Museum and Cultural project in Kuwait.
- Advising an EPC Turnkey Contractor in the pre-arbitration stage under the UNCITRAL Rules in a dispute related to a Joint Venture Agreement involving a Korean contractor for the construction of a combined cycle power plant in Saudi Arabia.
- Advising a subcontractor in relation to a dispute arising out of the construction of a number of substations in Tanzania.
- Advising a major subsea pipelay contractor in relation to a dispute arising out of the construction and installation of a gas development project in the Bay of Bengal.
- Assisted in advising a European owner / operator in respect of the design and construction of a nuclear power plant and several major arbitrations in respect thereof.*
Energy, Infrastructure, Project and Asset Finance
- Advised the arranging banks and the ECAs in connection with the US$6.4 billion project financing (including multiple ECA covered tranches) of the large-scale LIWA Plastics petrochemical project Oman owned by Oman Oil Refineries and Petroleum Industries Company.*
- Advised International Finance Corporation (IFC), Asian Development Bank (ADB) and a syndicate of local banks on the project financing of a 4.5 MTPA LNG facility at Port Qasim, near Karachi, Pakistan.*
- Assisted in advising Eleclink, the project company in connection with the proposed 1000 MW DC power interconnector between the UK and France, which will run through the Channel Tunnel.*
- Assisted in advising the sponsors on the project financing of the Nacala railway and port project in Mozambique and Malawi.*
*Experience prior to joining Mayer Brown International LLP
University of Law, LLM in International Legal Practice
University College London (University of London), LLM in International Commercial Law
London School of Economics and Political Science, LLB
- England and Wales
- New York
- Awarded the “Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Prize for International Arbitration” on the LLM programme at University College London.