'Luiz Aboim is a sharp and diligent disputes lawyer, who deeply involves himself in matters. His advice goes beyond the dispute, focusing on the problem’s solution as well as risk avoidance.'Legal 500 2024
Luiz Aboim is a partner in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice of the London office. He is an experienced arbitration practitioner with deep connections to the Brazilian and Lusophone markets. He also has experience handling corporate and commercial disputes, particularly in the energy, resources and infrastructure sectors.
Luiz has nearly two decades of international arbitration experience. Having started his career in Brazil, Luiz has worked in London and Paris at two leading international law firms for the past 15 years. His practice focuses on Lusophone African and Latin American jurisdictions, such as Angola, Brazil and Mozambique, where he has advised on some of the largest disputes to date. Consistent with his regional focus, most of Luiz’s work is in the oil and gas, mining, power, telecoms and infrastructure sectors.
His recent experience includes a number of complex M&A disputes, FPSO construction and conversions, JOA and environment related disputes, many involving amounts in excess of US$1 billion dollars. Luiz regularly sits as arbitrator in ICC, LCIA, UNCITRAL and ad hoc arbitrations, which have recently included disputes in Brazil, Angola, Cape Verde, Mozambique and Portugal.
Luiz has been recognised in legal publications such as Who’s Who in International Arbitration, with sources recommending Luiz as “a very complete and knowledgeable arbitration practitioner” and as “a leader in the field, especially when it comes to Brazil-related arbitrations” (2019), and as “a ‘hard-working construction arbitration specialist’ who impresses market sources with his ‘extremely sharp and honest advice’” (2020). He is also the only lawyer recommended for international arbitration work in the UK by LACCA, the Latin American Corporate Counsel Association (2021).
Luiz joined Mayer Brown in 2020.
Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro Law School (PUC-Rio)
University of Oxford, MJur
- England and Wales
- Member of the ICC Latin America Group
- Member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration
- He is the rapporteur for Brazil for the permanent Task Force on Recognition and Enforcement of Awards under the New York Convention
- Listed as a key lawyer for International Arbitration and Oil and Gas - 'Luiz Aboim is a sharp and diligent disputes lawyer, who deeply involves himself in matters. His advice goes beyond the dispute, focusing on the problem’s solution as well as risk avoidance.' Legal 500 2024.
- Listed as a key lawyer for International Arbitration and Oil and Gas - Legal 500 2023.
- Listed as a key lawyers for Emerging Markets, International Arbitration and Oil and Gas - Legal 500 2022.