Mayer Brown has established itself as one of the leading international law firms advising the largest funds and investors of infrastructure projects around the globe. Our deep experience in the sector means we advise our clients with their specific strategic goals in mind—achieving desired investment returns through the successful financing, acquisition and operational improvement of infrastructure assets.
Having worked on some of the first-of-their-kind infrastructure transactions throughout the world, our lawyers are able to deliver the best structure and execution to Infrastructure funds and investing companies in a way that both fulfills both the obligations they have to their investors and promotes the improvement of regional and local economies through improved infrastructure assets.
According to Chambers USA, "Mayer Brown has a leading social and transportation infrastructure practice." Our straightforward approach to exceptional services is to bring together experienced lawyers from the firm’s finance, funds, corporate, tax, insurance and government practices to examine and advise on every aspect of complex infrastructure projects.
Core infrastructure investment legal services
- Project development
- Project financing
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Public private partnerships
Industry focus (greenfield and brownfield assets)
- Renewable power
- Power generation
Ancillary infrastructure investment services
- Infrastructure fund formation
Experienced on Complex First-of-Their-Kind Infrastructure Transactions:
We have been involved as counsel for transaction participants in nearly all of the major infrastructure transactions. Our global track record also includes some of the largest and most important infrastructure projects including:
- The first existing US toll road concessions–Chicago Skyway and Indiana Toll Road.
- The first availability payment transaction for a mass transit project–Denver FasTracks.
- The first major US airport concession—Luis Munoz Marin International Airport (San Juan).
- The first proposed long-term PPP related to the operations of an entire US port–Port of Virginia.
- The $5.2 billion expansion of the Panama Canal.
- The first PPP project in Brazil financed in the international markets–São Paulo Metro Line IV.
- The first water infrastructure project in Peru–Huascacocha Water Infrastructure.
- The largest long-term transport deal in Latin America–São Paulo Rodoanel.
- The award-winning Suzhou Industrial Park water project in China.
- The sale of interest in the UK National Lottery.
- The award-winning East End Crossing portion of the Ohio River Bridges project, using an innovative private activities bonds financing structure.
- The use of $841 million in TIFIA financing for the Grand Parkway project.
Named 2014 Law Firm of the Year
Partnerships Bulletin and PPP Bulletin International Partnerships Awards 2014
Silver Award in the “Best Legal Adviser” category of the Partnerships Awards 2014, an annual awards series hosted by Partnerships Bulletin and PPP Bulletin International that recognizes outstanding contributions to the forward progress of public-private partnerships (PPPs) around the globe.
Ranked Band 1: Chambers USA 2015 , Projects:PPP
The Bond Buyer 2013
Mayer Brown represented WVB East End Partners as sponsors’ counsel on WVB’s public-private partnership with the Indiana Finance Authority to fund the Ohio River Bridges East End Crossing Project, which was named The Bond Buyer’s “Midwest Region Deal of the Year” winner. The financing for the toll bridge and roadway was achieved through the sale of more than $675 million in tax-exempt private activity bonds (PABs), which the publication said was “the largest P3 PAB offering completed to date in the U.S. municipal market.” The Lawyer Awards 2012
We were awarded Infrastructure/Energy Team of the Year at The Lawyer Awards 2012 for the team's pioneering work in developing a legal framework to make mining possible in Afghanistan.
Chambers USA 2015
Tier 1 for US Projects/PPP
"They set themselves apart from the rest, acting on all sides of the table.”
Chambers Latin America 2012
Tier 1 for Latin American Projects
"This firm has one of the best reputations in the US market for handling finance work south of the border and beyond.”
Chambers Asia 2012
Tier 3 China Infrastructure
"This leading firm is best known for its terminals project work, benefiting from its strong shipping practice."
Our lawyers have participated in many Deals of the Year within the Infrastructure sector including:
- Abengoa Transmisión Sur (ATS) transmission line. Latin American Transmission Deal of the Year 2014.
- Rutas de Lima Toll Road. 2014 PPP Deal of the Year by World Finance magazine.
- Orosí Wind Farm Project - Latin America Wind Deal of the Year 2013 by Project Finance magazine.
- Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport - North America Transport Deal of the Year 2013 by Project Finance magazine.
- Ohio River Bridges—East End Crossing - North America Project Bond Deal of the Year 2013. Bond Buyer magazine.
- 2011 Structured Financing Deal of the Year 2011: Aeropuertos Argentina 2000
- 2010 North America Transportation Deal of the Year: Denver FasTracks
- 2010 Latin America Water Deal of the Year: Huascacocha Water Infrastructure in Peru
- 2009 Transport Deal of the Year: São Paulo Rodoanel in Brazil
- 2009 Project Finance Deal of the Year: Panama Canal
- 2008 Latin American Infrastructure Deal of the Year: São Paulo Metro Line IV in Brazil
- 2008 Latin America Acquisition Deal of the Year: Aerodom Airports in Dominican Republic
- 2007 Best Infrastructure Deal of the Year: IIRSA Sur Toll Road in Peru
- 2007 North American Transport Deal of the Year: Northwest Parkway in Colorado