Chester Wong is a partner of Mayer Brown based in Hong Kong. Chester is experienced in advising on equity offerings in Hong Kong, including initial public offerings, subsequent issues of securities, secondary listings and spin offs, convertible and exchangeable bond issues, private equity transactions, joint ventures, takeovers, privatizations and other public mergers and acquisitions governed by Hong Kong’s listing rules and takeover code. His practice also covers a wide range of corporate governance and compliance matters relevant to companies listed in Hong Kong.
Equity Capital Market and M&A Experience
- Advised AGTech Holdings Limited on the proposed takeover of Macau Pass Group, a leading payment service provider in Macau.
- Advised Sinotrans Shipping (Holdings) Limited on their mandatory general offer and privatisation.
- Advised Jinmao Hotels and Jinmao (China) Hotel Investments and Management Limited in their proposed privatisation by way of scheme arrangement and pursuant to the Trust Deed. This is the first ever privatisation in Hong-Kong listed business trust.
- Advised leading financial institutions in the making of a voluntary conditional cash offer to acquire the entire issued share capital of a leading outdoor advertisement agency in China listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, and to cancel all its outstanding options, with an aggregate offer value of approximately HK$3.8 billion.
- Represented a reputable Chinese developer in its formation of joint venture with a private trust of another reputable Chinese developer on global property, hotel and other investments.
- Advised Asia Satellite Telecommunications in their proposed privatisation by way of a scheme of arrangement.
- Represented a reputable Chinese developer in the successful disposal of an office building in Hong Kong to an investment fund through the sale of the shares and shareholders loan in the property holding company.
- Advised one of the largest internet unicorns in China on the issuance of billion(s) of new shares to its controlling shareholder. The total funds raised from such issuance of new shares amounted to more than HK$1 billion.
- Represented a reputable Chinese developer in the disposal of a large residential site in the New Territories through the sale of the shares and shareholders loan in the property holding companies.
- Represented a reputable Chinese developer in the disposal of a large residential site in Kowloon through the sale of the shares and shareholders loan in the property holding companies.
- Advised Trinity Limited on its HK$2.2 billion subscription of new shares by Shandong Ruyi International Fashion Industry Investment Holding Company Limited.
- Advised iOne Holdings Limited on its HK$130 million proposed subscription of its shares by IDG Light Solutions Limited.
- Advised Gold Peak Industries (Holdings) Limited on its proposed privatisation of its Singapore listed subsidiary GP Batteries International Limited, by way of extending a pre-conditional voluntary conditional cash offers to shareholders holding 35.12% of the shares in GP Batteries at a total consideration of approximately S$72.2 million.
- Advised Beijing Enterprises Group on its acquisition of the entire shares of EEW HOLDING GMBH and the entire partnership interests of M+E HOLDING GMBH & CO. KG. Such acquisition was the largest Chinese direct investment in a German company at that time. This deal has been recognised as the “Deals of the Year” by China Business Law Journal for 2016.
- Advised Beijing Enterprises Group on its injection of solid waste projects into Beijing Development, which constitutes an extreme very substantial acquisition under The Hong Kong Listing Rules.
- Advised AGTech Holdings Limited on the subscription by an investor (a company in which Alibaba Group Holding holds a controlling interest of 60% and Ant Finance indirectly holds 40%) and related whitewash waiver.
- Advised China Minmetals Group in its investment in Winsway Enterprises, which involves whitewash waiver and debt restructuring.
- Advised Beijing Enterprises on its asset injection of 12 PRC gas projects into China Gas.
- Advised Asia Satellite Telecommunications on the mandatory general offer by Carlyle.
- Advised Great Eagle in its acquisition of interests in “The HUB Hotel” and “The Langham Xintiandi Hotel” in Shanghai, China.
- Advised Huajin on the takeover of iOne by way of mandatory general offer.
- Advised Beijing Development on the acquisition of two PRC waste-to-energy projects by way of share acquisition.
- Advised Beijing Water on the acquisition of 36 PRC water projects by way of share acquisition.
- Advised Great Eagle on the spin-off and Langham Hospitality Investments on the separate listing of three hotel properties on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange by way of a share stapled units business trust structure.
- Advised AkzoNobel on its takeover of Schramm by way of voluntary general offer.
- Advised Shanghai Industrial on its asset injection of property projects into Shanghai Industrial Urban Development.
- Advised Shanghai Industrial on the takeover of Neo-China Land by way of mandatory general offer.
- Advised Dah Chong Hong on the sale of its interest in the joint venture with Shiseido.
- Advised Trinity Limited on its secondary capital market fund raising.
- Advised Hang Lung Properties on its secondary capital market fund raising.
- Advised Viva China on its secondary capital market fund raising.
- Advised SOCAM Development on the spin off of its distressed asset business on the AIM board of the London Stock Exchange, and the subsequent privatisation.
- Advised SOCAM Development on the reorganization of its distressed property business.
- Advised DBS in connection with the Hong Kong IPO and global offering of SPG Land.
- Advised Integrated Distribution Services in connection with its Hong Kong IPO and global offering.
- Advised China Minmetal on its fund raising exercise following the reorganization of its PRC aluminium operations.
Debt Capital Market Experience
- Advised China Overseas Land & Investment Limited on a benchmark issue of EUR 600 million 1.75% guaranteed notes due 2019.
- Advised Beijing Enterprises Water Group Limited on the issuance by a subsidiary of HKD 700 million 3.90% guaranteed notes due 2020.
Listing Rules Compliance Experience
- Engaged by Beijing Enterprises Group, Shanghai Industrial, two Hong Kong listed companies that are owned by a major Chinese internet conglomerate, China Minmetals, Great Eagle, Shui On Group, Trinity Limited and other listed companies to advise on Listing Rules compliance matters.
The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
The University of Hong Kong (SPACE), CPE
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, BBA
- England und Wales
- Hong Kong
- Notable Practitioner - Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2019-2022)