Leigh K. Y. Tong
Intellectual Property, Technology, Media & Telecommunications
Leigh Tong is an associate in the IP & TMT practice in Mayer Brown's Hong Kong office. She helps clients with all aspects of brand management such as global trade mark prosecution, oppositions, revocation/invalidation and cancellation actions, copyright and design registrations. She also assists clients with IP agreements including co-existence agreements, intellectual property licences and assignments, distribution agreements and non-disclosure agreements, as well as advising on enforcement actions. Leigh’s clients include both multinational and Asian businesses from all industries, including FMCG, food & beverage, fashion, financial institutions, property developers, technology companies, toy manufacturers, sports unions and educational institutions.
Before joining Mayer Brown, Leigh was a Group Legal Counsel to a leading Hong Kong telecommunications and media company.
- Advised leading financial institutions on trade mark and IP matters, including managing their regional and global trade mark portfolios, conducting clearance searches for new business lines and advising on strategic filings to cover new business areas.
- Advised one of the largest US FCMG groups on clearance searches, branding strategy, infringement risks and securing trade mark registrations for their huge portfolio of brands across Hong Kong.
- Advised a leading Hong Kong-listed real estate group on their global trade mark portfolio, with a particular focus on contentious and non-contentious trade mark matters in Hong Kong.
- Advised a well-known Brazilian skin-care / wellness company on their trade mark portfolio throughout Asia
- Advised a leading technology company on their on a comprehensive filing strategy, potential infringement risks in relation to its trade mark portfolio around the world, as well as handling oppositions against various third parties.
- Advised a swimwear company on its distribution and licensing issues for a joint venture with a Chinese company.
- Acted for a leading Hong Kong financial institution on licensing its house marks to another well established organization
- Conducting an audit of an existing trade mark portfolio for a alcoholic beverage manufacturer on a number of IP issues – including identifying gaps in their portfolio and actions to take to protect their trade marks.
- Acted for a leading US software provider to negotiate a Co-Existence Agreement against a US wellness brand
- Drafted a trade mark license agreement for AI software company in China.
- Advised various entities and business units of a Singapore-based diversified conglomerate on their Hong Kong and PRC trade mark portfolio, including trade mark prosecution, oppositions, invalidations, cancellations / revocations, assignments and enforcement matters.
- The University of Hong Kong, PCLL
- The London School of Economics and Political Science, LLB
- Hong Kong