Joe Castelluccio is a partner in Mayer Brown’s New York office and a member of the Corporate & Securities practice. He focuses his practice on complex, cross-border M&A transactions, joint ventures, equity financings and other corporate matters for U.S. and multinational companies. As a former investment banker and finance professional, Joseph helps clients balance risks and opportunities in a broad array of business transactions with a combination of legal acumen and business experience.
Joe’s M&A, joint venture and other corporate work includes deep experience on cross-border transactions, especially for financial institutions and multinational companies based in Japan. He represents companies in a diverse group of industries, including technology, asset management, insurance, transportation and infrastructure, among others. Joe is a frequent commentator on a variety of M&A issues, including cyber and data privacy issues in M&A transactions. His four-part report, Missiles, Malware and Merger Management: Why Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Matter to M&A Practitioners, has been published by Business Houmu in Japan and by Bloomberg Law in the U.S.
In addition, Joe is the co-leader of Mayer Brown’s transactional liability insurance practice. In this capacity, he draws on his M&A experience in representing underwriters in issuing representations and warranties insurance and other types of transactional insurance in connection with M&A deals.
Joe is also a lecturer in Fordham Law School’s Transactional Skills for Global Legal Practice program and a faculty member for the Practising Law Institute’s seminar on Acquiring or Selling the Privately Held Company. Prior to attending law school, Joe worked at Prudential Securities as an analyst in the investment banking group and as an associate in the equity capital markets group. While attending law school, Joe worked in the division of enforcement at the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
Joe is a member of the Legal Advisory Council for Sanctuary for Families, the leading nonprofit organization in New York dedicated exclusively to serving the needs of domestic violence victims, sex trafficking victims, and their children. He is also a member of the Northeast Advisory Board for Youth About Business, a national youth leadership development organization that introduces high school students from diverse and underserved communities to the world of business through intensive summer M&A programs.
Selected Transactional Experience
- Represented one of the largest asset managers in Asia in its acquisition of a minority stake in a U.S. registered investment adviser and related commercial arrangements.
- Represented one of the largest networks of independent financial advisory firms in the U.S. in its acquisitions of broker-dealer/registered investment advisors with over $60 billion in assets.
- Represented a digital “neobank” across its operations, including venture capital fundraising, data privacy matters and corporate governance.
- Represented an Asian private equity fund in the purchase of a controlling interest in a “healthtech” technology and services company.
- Represented a global private equity sponsor in its acquisition of a mortgage-focused fintech business
- Represented an insurtech business focused on life insurance in its formation, equity fundraising and related matters
- Represented one of the leading American life insurance companies in its acquisition of a term life new business platform and related “insurtech” assets
- Represented the board of directors of a publicly-traded medical devices company in its dealings with activist shareholders
- Represented a leading operator of shipping lines and port terminals in numerous transactions, including joint ventures and asset acquisitions and divestitures.
- Represented a large private university in its long-term concession arrangement with one of the largest district energy providers in North America
- Represented a global specialty chemicals company in its acquisition of a leading global manufacturer of water and air filtration and purification solutions.
- Represented a global specialty chemicals company in its acquisition of a leading global glass laminating solutions business.
- Represented one of the world's largest chemicals producers in its sale of a leading distribution business in North America.
- Represented multiple hedge funds and investment management firms in the structuring of their equity capitalizations.
Georgetown University, BA
Brooklyn Law School, JD, cum laude
Executive Editor, Brooklyn Law Review (2005–2006)
- New York
- Member, Legal Advisory Council of Sanctuary For Families, the leading non-profit organization in New York State dedicated exclusively to serving the complex needs of domestic violence victims, sex trafficking victims, and their children.
- Board member, Northeast Region Advisory Board of Youth About Business , a national youth leadership development organization that introduces high school students from diverse and underserved communities to the world of business through intensive M&A summer programs.
- New York City Bar Association