Matt Wargin represents institutional lenders, bank groups, hedge funds and other creditors in out-of-court workouts, bankruptcy proceedings and other distress situations, including advising corporate clients on distressed asset sales and acquisitions and on structuring considerations in complex debt transactions.
Matt also has experience representing debtors in Chapter 11 proceedings and recently represented larger sporting goods fabricator and manufacturer in connection with its successful pre-packaged Chapter 11 bankruptcy case.
Matt’s representations further include a variety of matters involving the post-closing administration of residential mortgage backed securitization trusts, including related disputes and litigation.
Matt has advised clients in connection with transactions and disputes involving a wide variety of industries, including telecommunications, oil and gas, manufacturing, life insurance and financial services. Matt regularly litigates matters in federal bankruptcy and district courts and has significant experience working with expert witnesses and litigating contested valuation issues.
- Represented bond trustee in connection with successful restructuring of Odebrecht Oil & Gas and its subsidiaries and affiliates, which was awarded as the “Restructuring Deal of the Year” by both the International Financial Law Review and Latin Lawyer.
- Represented agent and lender in connection with restructuring of multiple secured credit facilities representing more than $2 billion in secured debt of Petrobras, the Brazilian state-owned oil company.
- Represented indenture trustee in connection with bankruptcy proceeding of Aurora Loan Servicing.
- Represented corporate trustee in connection with dozens of investor-directed litigations in state and federal court.
- Represented corporate trustee in connection with proceeding pursuant to Article 77 of New York's Civil Practice Law and Rules to approve of $5 billion global RMBS settlement.
- Represented corporate trustee in connection with proceeding pursuant to Article 77 of New York's Civil Practice Law and Rules to approve of $2 billion global RMBS settlement.
- Represented secured lenders in connection with assignment for the benefit of creditor (“ABC”) proceedings under both Illinois and Delaware law.
- Represented prepetition secured lender in connection in the LTAP US LLLP Chapter 11 case and obtained orders granting relief from the automatic stay and denying the debtor’s attempt to obtain approval of a “priming” debtor-in-possession financing facility following a full evidentiary hearing regarding disputed valuation issues.
- Represented one of the world’s largest providers of telecommunications services in connection with the Chapter 11 case of a competitive local exchange carrier.
- Represented secured lender in connection with the workout and restructuring of multi-dealership automobile franchisee.
- Represented prepetition secured lender in connection with ongoing litigation arising from the Sentinel Management Group Chapter 11 case.
- Represented the agent for prepetition secured lender in the CDX Gas LLC (et al.) Chapter 11 cases.
- Represented agents for prepetition and initial post-petition secured lenders in Global Power Equipment Group, Inc. (et al.) Chapter 11 cases.
- Represented the “stalking horse” and ultimately successful bidder for mortgage loan servicing platform in New Century Financial Corporation Chapter 11 cases.
- Represented agents for pre-petition and initial post-petition lenders in Global Power Equipment Group, Inc. (et al.) Chapter 11 cases.
New York University School of Law, JD, cum laude
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, BS, Journalism
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois