Highly recommended by sources as "an incredible lawyer who is very active in the energy sphere."Chambers Global
Jose L. Valera is a partner in the Houston office of Mayer Brown and co-lead of the firm’s Oil & Gas practice. He focuses his practice on domestic and international energy transactions and project development, with more than 25 years of legal experience representing oil, gas and electric energy companies throughout the United States, Latin America, Africa, Asia and the Caribbean.
He represents oil and gas companies on exploration and production contracts, investment agreements, upstream development projects, mergers and acquisitions, and joint ventures. His practice also includes the representation of electric companies in the development of thermal and renewable generation projects, financing, mergers and acquisitions. Jose’s LNG practice includes liquefaction services, regasification services, development of regasification terminals, and purchase and sale of LNG.
Jose has counseled the governments of Argentina, Bolivia, Honduras, Peru and Iraq on energy legislative reform matters, development of shared hydrocarbon resources, and privatization transactions related to the electric and oil and gas industries.
Fluent in English, Spanish and French, he is a former member of the board of directors of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators and is a frequent speaker on energy matters at professional conferences.
South Texas College of Law, JD
Catholic University of Peru, JD
Catholic University of Peru, 学士
- Peru (inactive)
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Houston Committee on Foreign Relations
- Houston World Affairs Council
- Chambers Global- Latin America: Energy & Natural Resources, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012
- Chambers Latin America: Energy & Natural Resources 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015
- Chambers USA: Latin America Investments 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015
- The Burton Awards for Achievement in Legal Writing 2008