Chambers Global / Legal 500
"his experience and technical knowledge are incredibly impressive."
"truly an expert in M&A, business-oriented and highly responsive"
Tom Thraya advises both private and public clients in the areas of cross-border and domestic mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, international and domestic joint ventures, private equity and global corporate reorganizations.
He also advises clients on international and domestic commercial agreements, foreign direct investment, regulatory and governmental matters, employment, including immigration matters, and compliance-related advice and investigations, litigation/arbitration support and general corporate and commercial counseling.
- Canadian-based company in a joint venture in Saudi Arabia for the construction of the region's largest shopping mall and entertainment complex.
- US-based multinational in a joint venture/strategic alliance with an arm of the Dubai Government relating to ride-hailing services and technology.
- US-based multinational on a significant joint venture in Saudi Arabia relating to laboratory testing services and facilities.
- US-based futures-trading company on an acquisition of a complimentary business in the Emirate of Dubai.
- European-based beverages company on an acquisition of a complimentary business in the Emirate of Dubai.
- US-based diabetes treatment medical company on a strategic alliance with a Dubai-based hospital and medical group.
- US-based multinational in a joint venture with an arm of the Sharjah Government relating to print-on-demand services.
- Saudi-based defense services company on an acquisition of a US-based manufacturing company.
- US-based multinational defense firm on a significant joint venture in Saudi Arabia.
- Caesars Entertainment Corporation in a joint venture/hotel management arrangement with Meraas for the development of two luxury hotels (including a Caesars Palace), a conference centre and a beach club at Bluewaters in Dubai.
- Underwriters Laboratories in a significant joint venture with GCC Labs (Saudi Arabia) for the creation of the largest renewables testing lab in the MENA region.
- UAE-based client in a significant joint venture in Saudi Arabia for the creation of the largest biofuel plant in the Kingdom.
- Large US client in a joint venture in connection with the operation of the first nuclear reactor in Abu Dhabi.
- Large US multinational in a strategic joint venture in Saudi Arabia.
- Large UK-based reinsurance company in the acquisition of a target in run-off in the UAE.
- Saudi Royal Family member in connection with three significant oil commodity transactions in North America.
- Largest Middle East bank in a strategic asset divestiture in Hong Kong.
- Global luxury brand in connection with the ratification of an arbitral award in Abu Dhabi.
- Large US defense firm in the creation of an energy services-related offering in the UAE.
- Largest US printing company in a joint venture with the Ruler of Sharjah.
- DM Prevent in a joint venture with Al Sharq Hospital in Fujairah to establish the only diabetes wound clinic in the Middle East.
- Global professional services company on a significant government procurement transaction with the Government of Abu Dhabi.
- Global professional services company on the first BPO transaction in the Middle East.
- Global professional services company on three significant government procurement transactions with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the Saudi Arabian Monetary Authority.
- Large US-based defense firm on its off-set obligations in the UAE.
- UK publicly traded company in a significant joint venture with an African oil & gas company.
- World's largest security company in a significant joint venture in the UAE.
- Large UAE-based catering company on the sale of a majority of its shares to a large UAE publicly traded company.
- Private US investors in their acquisition of an equity stake in a UAE-based aluminium smelting plant.
- Leading UAE real estate developer on its acquisition of distressed real estate developments in Dubai.
- Leading UAE real estate developer on its joint development arrangement with a leading Dubai governmental developer.
- Leading UAE real estate developer on its sale and lease back transaction with a Bahraini-based private equity firm for Dubai-based warehouses.
- Saudi Royal Family member in the acquisition of an equity interest in a Spanish resort development.
- US-based piping fabrication company in its acquisition of a UAE company.
- US publicly traded company on its acquisition of a Saudi target.
- Leading UAE-based e-commerce company on its acquisition of an Egyptian target.
- Large US-based defense firm on its joint venture with AMMROC in Abu Dhabi.
- European publicly traded global advertisement firm in the acquisition of a UAE target.
- European luxury brand in the restructuring of its Qatari joint venture and operations.
- Large publicly traded company in the UAE in its more than $350 million acquisition of another publicly traded company in the UAE.
- Large UAE-based IT systems company in its more than $500 million auction sale process.
- EQT in a more than $225 million private equity acquisition of a UAE target.
- Dubai Crown Prince in a number of cross-border transactions into the United States and Europe valued at more than $125 million.
- US publicly traded company in its more than $105 million acquisition of a large UAE-based manufacturing company.
- Tristar, Dutco and the Omani Investment Fund in a more than $60 million joint venture for the manufacture of antimony ores in Oman.
- Binladen Group, Porr and HBK in a large construction consortium and joint venture in Qatar in connection with the more than $2.2 billion Qatar Integrated Railway Project.
- Lockheed Martin in the more than $450 million procurement of an air academy in Qatar.
- BR Foods in its more than $56 million acquisition of a significant interest in Federal Foods in the UAE.
- BR Foods in its more than $150 million joint venture with Al Nowais Investments for the construction and operation of a meat processing plant in the UAE.
- Large US-based defense firm in the establishment of a more than $300 million joint venture in the UAE and the procurement of offset obligations.
- Iraqi Oil Ministry in a more than $15 billion BOT transaction involving the construction of Iraq's third oil pipeline.
- KEPCO in connection with its more than $20 billion award of the nuclear power plants in the UAE.
- Abercrombie & Fitch in significant joint ventures in the UAE and in Kuwait.
- Abraaj Capital in the acquisition of a controlling stake in a major Saudi Arabian air transportation and services company.
- Masdar Capital, a Mubadala Company, in a venture capital investment into a US-based early stage specialty chemicals company.
- Kaizen Development Consulting in a global joint venture with a US-based hospital construction company.
- Publicis Groupe in the acquisition of Flip Media in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and India.
Served as key litigation support on large matters before UAE courts for global clients, including:
- Large Malaysia oil & gas quasi-governmental entity as defendant in an agency dispute in the UAE for more than $185 million.
- Large US defense contractor as defendant in an agency dispute in the UAE for a claim for more than $65 million.
- Large US defense contractor as defendant in a wrongful death claim in the UAE.
- Large Australian oil & gas services company as plaintiff in a breach of contract claim.
- Large US oil & gas company as defendant in a wrongful death claim in the UAE.
- Large Saudi investment company as plaintiff in a fraud case in the UAE.
University of Michigan Law School, 法律博士
University of Calgary, BA, with honors
- Muslim Bar Association of Chicago
- American Bar Association
- Arab-American Bar Association
- Ranked and specially mentioned for M&A, Corporate, and Commercial matters as "highly regarded" and a "key contact partner for M&A work" by Chambers Global.
- "His experience and technical knowledge are incredibly impressive." – Chambers Global
- Ranked as a Leading Attorney in the Middle East by IFLR1000.
- "Truly an expert in M&A, business-oriented and highly responsive." - Legal 500
- "An impressive transactional record." - Legal 500
- "Excellent work product and very hands-on." – Chambers Global
- Listed in MENA Fund Manager Service Provider Power 50.