‘Jonathan Stone is knowledgeable and very commercial in his outlook. In particular, he has an ability to understand the imperatives and relative strengths of all parties involved in an issue and to articulate quite complex issues and ideas. This can be very helpful in resolving contentious issues. Jonathan also appears to be liked and respected by all with whom he comes into contact.’Legal 500 2021
Jonathan Stone is a partner in the Construction & Engineering practice of the London office. He advises clients (including architects, engineers, consultants, contractors and suppliers) on all aspects of construction and engineering law. A significant part of his work involves advising insurers and professionals in the defence of professional indemnity claims. Jonathan also advises insurers on policy coverage issues arising out of various types of construction policy, including professional indemnity, public liability and CAR policies.
Jonathan has a broad experience of contentious litigation matters, and acts on high value and multi-party disputes arising out of civil works, sport stadia, public transport systems, waste treatment facilities, hospital PFI projects, office buildings, public car parks, road networks and wind farms. Disputes include those relating to defective works, negligent design, delays, loss and expense, contract terminations and payment issues.
Before joining Mayer Brown in September 2012, Jonathan was a senior associate at another global law firm where he trained and qualified in 2004.
- Representing a FTSE 100 company in defence of a £200m professional negligence claim arising out of the design and construction of a car park in the south of England.
- Representing a large, national consultancy firm in defence of a multi-million pound claim arising from the design of the mechanical and electrical systems of a large hospital in relation to a wider PFI project.
- Advising the world’s leading wind turbine manufacturer and supplier in relation to a number of contractual disputes, including in relation to a claim for an extension of time and prolongation costs arising out of a project involving the erection of 36 wind turbines at a wind farm in Scotland.
- Representing an architectural practice in a £40m nine party claim arising out of a late running refurbishment project involving a multi-storey building on the outskirts of London.
- Advising a large, national engineering firm, and its insurers, in relation to a claim arising from the design and construction of a micro-biological treatment facility in the north of England.
- Representing a firm of architects in defence of a claim arising from the design of microbiological laboratories at a university.
Sheffield University, LPC
Leicester University, LLB (Hons)
Listed as a 'key lawyer' for Construction. ‘Jonathan Stone is knowledgeable and very commercial in his outlook. In particular, he has an ability to understand the imperatives and relative strengths of all parties involved in an issue and to articulate quite complex issues and ideas. This can be very helpful in resolving contentious issues. Jonathan also appears to be liked and respected by all with whom he comes into contact.’ - Legal 500 2021.
Jonathan is listed as a 'Next Generation Partner'; he is also listed as a 'key lawyer' for Professional Negligence and Infrastructure - Legal 500 2020.
He is described in a survey of in-house counsel as “technically very capable who always gets to the right answer” and “a delight to work with”