Sean Scott is a partner in the Chicago office of Mayer Brown LLP and is a member of the firm's Restructuring practice. Sean has extensive experience in complex insolvency matters, including in-court bankruptcy proceedings and out-of-court restructurings and recapitalizations. Sean typically acts on behalf of companies, boards of directors, administrative agents, lender syndicates and other significant stakeholders in all types of distressed scenarios.
In the course of his practice, Sean frequently counsels corporate clients seeking to acquire or sell assets as part of the bankruptcy process. Sean also regularly advises lending and investor clients on structuring considerations in the areas of fund finance, securitization and trade receivables financing.
In peer ranking publications and other industry sources, Sean has frequently been recognized as a standout in the restructuring field. Early in his career, Sean was named by Institutional Investor News as one of its ten “Rising Stars of Bankruptcy/Restructuring Law and Workouts” and was recognized by Law 360, a leading newswire for business lawyers, as one of its “10 bankruptcy lawyers under 40 to watch” among all practitioners nationwide. More recently, Chambers USA has noted that clients laud Sean for being “very focused” on “the best path to get the best results for us and our interests.
Sean joined Mayer Brown in 2000.
- Represented the board of directors of Macy’s, Inc., a publicly traded retailer with sales of $24.6 billion, in connection with a new $3 billion ABL facility and $1.3 billion secured bond issuance.
- Representing the prepetition administrative agent and DIP agent for the senior lenders to EP Energy, Inc. in connection with its bankruptcy filing to restructure in excess of $4 billion in funded debt.
- Represented a large U.S. financial institution and a premier loan agency service company, as agents for syndicates of banks, in connection with the workout, restructuring and multijurisdictional insolvency cases of Waypoint Leasing Holdings Ltd. and its various subsidiaries. This deal was awarded “Restructuring of the Year ($1B to $10B)” at the 2019 M&A Advisor Turnaround Awards.
- Representing the predecessors in title to Memorial Production Partners with respect to a $150 million dispute over a decommissioning trust relating to oil and gas operations offshore of the Port of Long Beach, California, currently on appeal to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented the administrative agent for a $1 billion prepetition first lien facility in the Chapter 11 cases of Samson Resources Group and its affiliates, which prior to its filing in 2016 had been the largest independent upstream oil and gas company in the United States.
- Represented the administrative agent and lender in connection with restructuring of multiple secured credit facilities representing more than $2 billion in secured debt of Petrobras, the Brazilian state-owned oil company.
- Represented a corporate trustee in connection with a proceeding pursuant to Article 77 of New York's Civil Practice Law and Rules to approve a $5 billion global RMBS settlement.
- Represented the administrative agent and lenders in a debt-for-equity swap leading to the acquisition of Tuscany International Drilling Inc., an oil rig owner and operator, pursuant to its confirmed Chapter 11 plan.
- Represented a prepetition lender and clearing bank in connection with a $300 million secured claim in the Chapter 11 case of Sentinel Management Group, Inc.
- Represented a major automotive supplier in its acquisition in the Delphi bankruptcy of certain assets and inventory.
- Represented Carrington Capital Management, LLC, and Carrington Mortgage Services, LLC, in their $180 million acquisition of the mortgage loan servicing business of New Century Mortgage Corporation.
University of Notre Dame Law School, JD, magna cum laude
Articles Editor, Notre Dame Law Review
Washington University, BA, with College Honors
Phi Beta Kappa; Pi Sigma Alpha
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Mentor, Chicago Youth Centers, 2004 to date
- Student Advisor, American Constitutional Law Program, Northside College Preparatory High School, 2003-2008
- Member, Associate Board, American Cancer Society, Illinois Division, 2006-2007