has 'a wealth of knowledge' in insurance linked security (ILS) transactions and is 'friendly, knowledgeable, accessible and responsive' - providing an 'exemplary client service'. 'He is always on the ball, enthusiastic and keen to help. He knows what he is talking about and knows the industry well.' He 'is commercial yet very knowledgeable. Easy to deal with but committed and focused.'Legal 500 2020
Colin Scagell is a partner in the Corporate & Securities practice and Insurance Industry Group of the London office.
Colin focuses on the Insurance sector and has advised on many of the market leading Insurance transactions of the past two decades. He has a strong focus on cross border public transactions including takeovers, listings and secondary securities offerings. He also advises on insurance linked security (ILS) transactions and on a variety of third party capital structures at the convergence point of the financial services industry.
Colin joined Mayer Brown in September 2011 from the London office of a leading New York law firm, prior to which he qualified at a top city firm.
- KD Group, on the sale of Adriatic Slovenica to Generali.
- Aspen, on its acquisition of Liberty's UK regional property and casualty business.
- Assured Guaranty, on its acquisition of MBIA UK.
- The Hartford, on its acquisition of Navigators Inc.
- Harmonia brokers, Brazil, in its sale by Hub to Howden.
- Beazley, on its acquisition of Creechurch MGA, Canada.
- Beazley, on its relocation to the UK via Jersey scheme of arrangement.
- Beazley, on a cooperation agreement with global reinsurer Korean Re to establish a special purpose syndicate at Lloyd’s.
- Peel Hunt, as financial adviser to Markel Corporation in its acquisition of LSE listed Abbey Protection plc for £117 million.
- The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc in its takeover of Chaucer Holdings plc.
- The agreement to sell AIA to Prudential plc for $35.5 billion.
- Benfield Group on its acquisition by Aon Corporation for $1.75 billion.
- Catlin Group on its acquisition of Wellington Underwriting for £600 million and in relation to capital raisings.
- Rina Spa in its acquisition of EDIF Group.
Capital Markets/Insurance Linked Securities
- Brit, in respect of the Sussex Capital Diversified Fund and Versutus Sidecar.
- GC Securities on NFIP's FloodSmart and Scor's Atlas series.
- Beazley, in the launch of its Smart Tracker Syndicate 5623 and Fuchsia Capital PCC.
- Tokio Millenium Re, on a series of loss portfolio transfer agreements with certain Lloyd's syndicates and London market companies.
- EU Lotto Ltd, on its Gibraltar based ILS risk transfer programmes, the fortuna series.
- Willis Capital Markets in connection with Unipolsai's Azzurro Re catastrophe bond.
- GBG (Global Benefits Group) on its IPO on LSE's AIM market.
- Peel Hunt, as financial adviser to Integrafin IPO on main market of LSE.
- Peel Hunt, as financial advisor to Miton plc's institutional placing.
- Peel Hunt and Panmure Gordon on Blancco Technology plc's placing.
- Peel Hunt, as underwriter counsel to Charles Taylor plc’s rights issue.
- Catlin Group in connection with its Galileo Re catastrophe bond.
- The underwriters in connection with Generali's Lion Re catastrophe bond.
- Ace Limited in a £700 million bond offering.
- Underwriters' counsel to the IPO of Paris Re on Euronext Paris, with a market capitalisation of $2 billion.
- Beazley's MTN and retail bond programmes.
- Catlin Group in connection with its rights issue to raise £200m.
The College of Law, London, LPC (Distinction)
The College of Law, London, CPE (Commendation)
Durham University, BA Hons Politics
- Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation board member
- The Chartered Insurance Institute
- City of London Club
- Listed as a 'Leading Individual' (Chambers UK 2020).
- The practice is led by Colin Scagell, who has 'a wealth of knowledge' in insurance linked security (ILS) transactions and is 'friendly, knowledgeable, accessible and responsive' - providing an 'exemplary client service'. 'I have a lot of time for Colin Scagell. He is always on the ball, enthusiastic and keen to help. He knows what he is talking about and knows the industry well.' 'Colin Scagell is commercial yet very knowledgeable. Easy to deal with but committed and focused.' (Legal 500 2020, Insurance, Corporate and Regulatory).
- Praised for his 'pragmatic' approach. 'Devi Shah and Colin Scagell have been very pragmatic in their approach to providing recommendations and opinions in instances where other competitors had taken a rather more overly cautious approach that would have resulted in an unnecessarily increase workload.' (Legal 500 2020, Insurance: Insolvency and Restructuring).
- Colin is also listed as a key lawyer for Equity Capital Markets and Insurance, Insolvency and Restructuring).
- Colin Scagell has "great commercial acumen" (Legal 500 2015).
- "excellent" and "gets to the point quickly" (Legal 500 2014).