‘Colin Scagell is our go-to lawyer for insurance matters – especially when they cross over with capital markets work.’ He is 'accessible, always keen to help out and take charge, responsive.’Legal 500 2022
Colin focuses on the Insurance sector and has advised on many of the market leading Insurance transactions of the past two decades. He has a strong focus on cross border public transactions including takeovers, listings and secondary securities offerings. He also advises on insurance -linked security (ILS) transactions and on a variety of third party capital structures at the convergence point of the financial services industry.
Colin joined Mayer Brown in September 2011 from the London office of a leading New York law firm, prior to which he qualified at a top city firm.
- The Hartford in its divestment of certain continental European operations to multiple buyers.
- Enstar in its $420 million loss portfolio transfer deal to take on certain legacy liabilities of Liberty Mutual.
- Kelso backed Premia in its first series of acquisitions in the UK and Lloyd’s insurance market, including the Charles Taylor plc managing agency and back book of business.
- KD Group, on the sale of Adriatic Slovenica to Generali.
- Aspen, on its acquisition of Liberty's UK regional property and casualty business.
- Assured Guaranty, on its acquisition of MBIA UK.
- The Hartford, on its acquisition of Navigators Inc.
- Harmonia brokers, Brazil, in its sale by Hub to Howden.
- Beazley, on its acquisition of Creechurch MGA, Canada.
- Beazley, on its relocation to the UK via Jersey scheme of arrangement.
- Beazley, on a cooperation agreement with global reinsurer Korean Re to establish a special purpose syndicate at Lloyd’s.
- Peel Hunt, as financial adviser to Markel Corporation in its acquisition of LSE listed Abbey Protection plc for £117 million.
- The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc. in its takeover of Chaucer Holdings plc.
- The agreement to sell AIA to Prudential plc for $35.5 billion.
- Benfield Group on its acquisition by Aon Corporation for $1.75 billion.
- Catlin Group on its acquisition of Wellington Underwriting for £600 million and in relation to capital raisings.
- Rina Spa in its acquisition of EDIF Group.
Capital Markets/Insurance Linked Securities
- Beazley plc in its $350 million institutional placing led by JP Morgan Cazenove, together with related debt finance arrangements.
- The Hartford in its Funds at Lloyd’s arrangements to support the Navigators Syndicate.
- Convex in its inaugural catastrophe bond, Hypatia Re.
- GC Securities as initial purchaser of the first issuance by Scor using the UK PCC ILS regime.
- Brit and Sussex Capital in repeat issuances from the Sussex and Versutus platforms.
- Global Parametrics on its set up and risk transfer structures.
- Brit, in respect of the Sussex Capital Diversified Fund and Versutus Sidecar.
- GC Securities on NFIP's FloodSmart and Scor's Atlas series.
- Beazley, in the launch of its Smart Tracker Syndicate 5623 and Fuchsia Capital PCC.
- Tokio Millenium Re, on a series of loss portfolio transfer agreements with certain Lloyd's syndicates and London market companies.
- EU Lotto Ltd, on its Gibraltar-based ILS risk transfer programmes, the fortuna series.
- Willis Capital Markets in connection with Unipolsai's Azzurro Re catastrophe bond.
- GBG (Global Benefits Group) on its IPO on LSE's AIM market.
- Peel Hunt, as financial adviser to Integrafin IPO on main market of LSE.
- Peel Hunt, as financial advisor to Miton plc's institutional placing.
- Peel Hunt and Panmure Gordon on Blancco Technology plc's placing.
- Peel Hunt, as underwriter counsel to Charles Taylor plc’s rights issue.
- Catlin Group in connection with its Galileo Re catastrophe bond.
- The underwriters in connection with Generali's Lion Re catastrophe bond.
- Ace Limited in a £700 million bond offering.
- Underwriters' counsel to the IPO of Paris Re on Euronext Paris, with a market capitalisation of $2 billion.
- Beazley's MTN and retail bond programmes.
- Catlin Group in connection with its rights issue to raise £200 million.
The College of Law, London, LPC (Distinction)
The College of Law, London, CPE (Commendation)
Durham University, BA Hons Politics
- Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation, Board Member
- The Chartered Insurance Institute
- City of London Club
- Band 4: Insurance. Colin Scagell specialises in insurance-linked securities and reinsurance agreements as part of a robust corporate insurance practice. He also advises on both domestic and cross-border M&A transactions. "Colin Scagell is a pleasure to work with." (Chambers UK 2023).
- Listed as a Leading individual for Insurance, Colin Scagell advises on complex M&A within the insurance sector, with expertise in cross-border matters involving Bermuda. (Legal 500 2023).
- Colin Scagell specialises in insurance-linked securities and reinsurance agreements as part of a robust corporate insurance practice. He also advises on both domestic and cross-border M&A transactions. "He is commercial and always on the ball." (Chambers UK 2022)
- Listed in Legal 500 2022 as a key lawyer for Equity Capital Markets. ‘Colin Scagell is our go-to lawyer for insurance matters – especially when they cross over with capital markets work.’ He is 'accessible, always keen to help out and take charge, responsive.’ (Insurance: Corporate and Regulatory)
- Praised as "likeable, keen, upbeat, efficient” in Legal 500 for Insurance: Corporate and Regulatory. A client comments that he "appears to have an abundance of experience in dealing with regulator(s), and has kept giving us clear guidance whenever we need it along the way in the long process of securing any required regulatory approval.” He is also listed as a key lawyer for Equity Capital Markets. (2021)
- Named as a Leading Individual in Chambers UK for Insurance: Non-contentious. Sources comment that he is a "solid, responsive and commercial lawyer." Clients say: "His experience and knowledge have greatly helped us to focus on the most important areas of the project." (2020 - 2021)
- Recognized in the Legal 500 for Insurance: Corporate and Regulatory. Sources comment that he has a "wealth of knowledge" in ILS transactions and is "friendly, knowledgeable, accessible and responsive," providing "exemplary client service." Additional commentators say: "Colin Scagell is commercial yet very knowledgeable. Easy to deal with but committed and focused," and he is "always on the ball, enthusiastic and keen to help. He knows what he is talking about and knows the industry well." He is also praised for Insurance: Insolvency and Restructuring for his "pragmatic" approach to "providing recommendations and opinions in instances where other competitors had taken a rather more overly cautious approach that would have resulted in an unnecessarily increase workload." He is also listed as a key lawyer for Equity Capital Markets. (2020)
- Sources say in the Legal 500 that Colin Scagell has "great commercial acumen" and that he is "excellent" and "gets to the point quickly." (2014-2015)