"He is great - substantively excellent."Chambers USA
Brad Peterson is a partner in Mayer Brown's Chicago office. He leads Mayer Brown’s global Technology Transactions practice and co-leads Mayer Brown’s Supply Chain & Distribution practice and its Fintech industry group.
Brad’s practice focuses on data, digital, outsourcing and software transactions, with a particular emphasis onmanaged services outsourcing, cloud and platform subscription arrangements, and software transactions. His experience includes data licensing and analytics; digital services such as IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS; outsourcing of the full range of information technology (IT) and business process functions; and core systems modernization, ERP and other software licensing, development and integration transactions. His experience also includes projects in emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence (AI), robotic process automation (RPA), and blockchain and other distributed ledger technologies (DLTs). He has worked on a wide variety of supply chain arrangements, most recently working to help build resilience, advance ESG goals, and leverage technology.
Brad has been top-ranked for over a decade by Chambers Global (“1” ranking in “Outsourcing”), Chambers USA (“1” ranking in “Nationwide: Technology” and “Illinois: Technology and Outsourcing”),and Legal 500. Chambers USA, for example, reports that he ‘understands the commercial aspects very well and wears both the lawyer and commercial hats, so he's very helpful in traversing that conversion.’" Chambers Global states that he is “highly respected among his peers, with one noting: ‘He's a smart guy who has been around for a long time and has a deep set of experiences.’ Another says: ‘He's a brilliant man and he's exceptionally smart.’" Brad was named to Legal 500's list of Hall of Fame lawyers in 2017 and maintains this ranking as of 2021. Legal 500 reported that "One enthusiastic client says 'considering what you get with him in terms of brains and dedication, you know that whatever the price, he's the guy that you have to have on your team.'"
Brad is a frequent and popular speaker and writer on outsourcing, the Digital Age, and emerging technology topics. He is also a regular contributor to Mayer Brown’s Tech Talks Podcast, which provides insight on legal issues relating to technology transactions and touches on relevant and timely topics.
Emerging Technologies, including Big Data
- Advised a worldwide safety consulting and certification company regarding its data analytics capabilities, with a particular focus on permitted uses of data received from its commercial test clients, and from its own service activities, as well as from other sources.
- Represented a global chain of fast food restaurants in the negotiation of a public cloud services agreement with Amazon Web Services and a cloud integration and management agreement with Datapipe.
- Advised a pharmaceutical and health care supplies company in the outsourcing of email and collaboration platforms to a public cloud environment on Microsoft Office 365 and developing collaboration platform on Salesforce.com for a global healthcare company operating in over 130 countries.
- Assisted an educational and trade publisher in moving to Digital Age learning services, including entering into agreements with Amazon Web Services as a public cloud provider and Connectria as a cloud integrator.
- Assisted a global manufacturer of LED and automotive lighting in entering into cloud services relationships with SAP and VirtuStream.
IT and Business Process Outsourcing
- Represented a leading food company in outsourcing information technology infrastructure functions globally.
- Represented a top snack and beverage company in outsourcing finance and accounting functions globally.
- Represented a leading property and casualty insurance company in outsourcing claims-processing functions in one of the first such transaction to be implemented in an outsourcing model with transfers of hundreds of employees.
- Represented a large financial institution in selling its data center facility and entering into a co-location services agreement.
- Represented several companies entering into or amending procurement outsourcing services agreements.
- Represented a buildings materials company in outsourcing IT, finance, human resources and contact center functions for 50 countries in a transaction with over $1 billion in announced savings compared to the in-scope function.
- Represented global life sciences company in outsourcing finance and accounting functions.
- Represented several companies in contracting for ERP implementation services, including one of the largest SAP implementations ever attempted.
- Represented a global manufacturing company in outsourcing global finance and accounting functions.
- Represented a leading insurance brokerage company in offshoring back-office functions.
- Represented a large private company in a $500 million transaction where the provider will implement an ERP system, provide all information technology infrastructure, and provide the people and technology to perform full-scope finance and accounting functions.
- Represented a Fortune 500 manufacturer of consumer products in outsourcing of human resources functions in the US and several European countries.
- Represented five US operating companies for a Fortune Global 50 corporation in outsourcing of finance and accounting functions; based on this, was retained for outsourcing of human resources functions for same Fortune Global 50 corporation.
- Represented a Fortune Global 10 corporation in restructuring of one of the path-breaking finance and account outsourcing arrangements from the 1990s.
- Represented a large retailer in negotiating its $1.6 billion IT infrastructure outsourcing transaction.
- Represented a chemicals company in negotiation of a $1.3 billion network services outsourcing agreement for services in over 140 countries.
- Represented an insurance company in the negotiation of a $600 million IT outsourcing agreement.
- Represented an insurance broker in re-negotiating a finance and accounting outsourcing arrangement.
- Represented a large manufacturer in insourcing information technology functions in a troubled outsourcing contract.
- Represented a global quick-serve restaurant company in outsourcing substantially all of its IT infrastructure.
- Represented an insurer on an agreement to outsource underwriting, claims administration, and care management functions for its insurance business.
- Represented a mortgage bank in outsourcing customer-facing business functions to India.
Northwestern University, Computer Studies
Phi Beta Kappa
The University of Chicago Booth School of Business, MBA, cum laude
Beta Gamma Sigma
Harvard Law School, JD, with honors
Managing Editor, Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy