James P. Patti
Clients leverage Jim Patti’s deep knowledge in emerging markets advising on complex, cutting-edge transactions on matters related to structured finance, Eurobonds, Tier 2/AT1 financings, project finance (principally with airports) and general lending (secured and unsecured).
Jim represents clients involved with transactions in emerging markets, including Brazil, Kazakhstan, Mexico, Nigeria, Peru, Russia and Turkey, and has been particularly active in Latin America and Türkiye. His work emphasizes fundraising in all its forms, and he is often involved in complex, cutting-edge transactions for which broad knowledge of the emerging markets is very beneficial. Of note, Jim established the first “future flow“ transactions in Brazil and Peru, the first three MTN programs in Türkiye, the first Basel III-compliant Tier 2 issuance in Türkiye, and the first two cross-border residential mortgage-covered bond programs in Türkiye.
Clients served by Jim include most of the large Turkish banks, banks in Latin America, various IFIs and investors in structured finance transactions.
- The issuers in the first three MTN programs ever from Türkiye: a $3 billion program for Vakıfbank, a $2.5 billion program for Garanti Bank and a $1.75 billion program for Işbank.
- Originators and investors in over 200 “diversified payment rights” (DPR) and other future flow transactions in Türkiye, Brazil, Peru, Kazakhstan, Russia, Panama and elsewhere.
- The lenders in numerous telecoms and infrastructure financings, including many with complex intercreditor issues, sponsor support and extensive security packages. These transactions largely involved concession-holders and thus required a focus on the regulatory requirements of the concession, including how security interests in concession-related rights could be obtained and seeking approvals from regulators. The first of these transactions started in 1995 and involved financing for the establishment of Mexico’s primary competitor to the up-until-then monopoly telecom services company, involving multiple ECAs and commercial lenders, sponsor support and (as a public service) complex concession issues. The experience started in that transaction has grown over the past 19 years to cover different industries and countries, and it served as an exceptional foundation for later infrastructure financings.
- Listed as a key lawyer for Debt Capital Markets – Legal 500
- Known for emerging markets bonds – Legal 500
- “Sources attest that he ‘stands out for his dedication to his work, commitment to perfect documentation, and ability to understand the client’s business.’” – Chambers Global
- Structured the “Structured Finance Deal of the Quarter Century” in Latin America – Latin Finance
- “’Very experienced’ in emerging markets encompassing Eastern Europe, Central Asia and Latin America. His international scope is regularly utilized when advising on infrastructure-related finance, general lending and restructuring matters for domestic and international clients.” – Chambers USA
- The University of Chicago Law School, 法律博士（JD）
- 美国乔治敦大学, BS, magna cum laude