Heralded by clients as "a legend of the defense bar" and "well-prepared, tenacious and strategic."Legal 500
Arvin Maskin is a partner is Mayer Brown's New York office and a member of the Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice. He leads Mayer Brown's global Enterprise Risk & Crisis Management practice and concentrates on mass tort, products liability, class action/MDL, crisis management and corporate enterprise risk management.
Arvin has served as lead counsel in some of the largest mass tort and product liability litigations in the country. Formerly with another prominent international law firm and prior to that with the US Department of Justice in Washington DC, he was the government’s lead counsel in such seminal matters such as the “Agent Orange” litigation, and has received multiple Department awards and recognitions.
Arvin has been consistently successful in handling a broad range of domestic and international matters, including the defense, coordination and resolution of product liability, mass tort and consumer fraud litigations, in some cases seeking billions of dollars, involving asbestos, breast implants, food products, industrial chemicals and their by-products, genetic research, lead paint, aircraft, automotive products, electrical and navigation equipment, and pharmaceuticals and medical devices, as well as counseling relating to industrial, consumer and OTC products, FDA, EPA, NHTSA and Consumer Product Safety Act compliance, product recalls (domestic and international), the False Claims Act, the Alien Tort Statute, Congressional investigations, deceptive trade practice claims brought by state attorneys general, corporate acquisitions, product distribution, marketing and labeling, risk avoidance, insurance, internal investigations, food tampering, crisis management and strategic media communications.
Arvin founded and chaired the the ABA Task Force on Enterprise Risk Management, which is now a subcommittee of the ABA Corporate Counsel Committee which he co-chairs. He is a recognized thought leader and has lectured and been published around the world on risk mitigation and crisis management techniques.
He is often sought in the defense of high-stakes, high-profile mass tort matters. He was a lead counsel and negotiator in connection with World War II forced and slave labor class actions involving eight different nations, and served as lead counsel in the defense and resolution of 33 separate state consumer fraud class actions and an MDL concerning some 170 million automobile and light truck tires. He handled mass tort class actions involving African apartheid-related claims under the Alien Tort Statute, as well as class actions and related consumer fraud and personal injury litigations throughout the country involving the sale of hundreds of thousands of bullet-proof vests, including related suits brought by the US Department of Justice under the False Claims Act seeking hundreds of millions of dollars. He was also a nationally recognized attorney on punitive damages, class actions and multidistrict litigation, as well as the use of science in the courtroom, and chaired numerous national conferences and counseled multinational corporations on all aspects of corporate crisis planning and risk avoidance.
Arvin is a Life Member of the American Law Institute and is a Fellow of the American and New York Bar Foundation. He was a member of the American Law Institute’s Consultative Group for the Restatement of the Law of Torts (Third): Products Liability, and served as a member of the Institute’s Consultative Group for the Restatement of the Law of Torts: General Principles. He also served as a reviewer for the Manual for Complex Litigation (Third) for the Federal Judicial Center.
Arvin serves as Co-Chairman of the American Bar Association’s Corporate Counsel Committee, and he served as immediate past Co-Chair of the Mass Torts Litigation Committee, Litigation Section. He also served as Co-Chair of the 2019 Litigation Section Annual Conference of the ABA. He formerly served as Co-Chairman of the ABA Subcommittee on Complex Torts of the Corporate Counsel Committee, Litigation Section. He was appointed to the Task Force on Mass Torts of the US Chamber of Commerce, and has served as a member of the Boards of Advisors of Bloomberg BNA’s Civil Trial Manual, Toxics Law Reporter and Product Safety & Liability Reporter, Leader Publications’ Products Liability Law & Strategy, among others. He is a member of the Legal Policy Advisory Board of the Washington Legal Foundation and has served as a member of the Lawyers for Civil Justice.
He was recognized by Benchmark Litigation as a “Litigation Star” for Product Liability in the US and as a “Local Litigation Star” for Product Liability in New York. He was also recognized by Legal 500 as a “Leading Lawyer” for Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense, including in the Consumer Products and Toxic Tort specialties.
Arvin also served as a legal commentator for CNN and Fox, and has guest-lectured at Yale, Georgetown, Harvard, Columbia, and NYU, among other institutions.
Georgetown University, 学士
Georgetown University Law Center, 法律博士
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- US District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Fellow, New York Bar Foundation
- Member, Lawyers for Civil Justice
- Member, Legal Policy Advisory Board, Washington Legal Foundation
- Former Member, Task Force on Mass Torts of the US Chamber of Commerce
- Life Member, American Law Institute
- Former Member, ALI’s Consultative Group for The Restatement of the Law of Torts (Third) Products Liability
- Former invited commentator for the Manual on Complex Litigation (Third) for the Federal Judicial Center
- Former Chairman of the Torts & Insurance Practice Section’s Committee on Toxics & Hazardous Substances and Environmental Law, American Bar Association
- Former Co-Chair of Mass Torts Litigation Committee, Litigation Section, ABA
- Former Co-Chair of 2019 Litigation Section Annual Conference of the ABA
- Former Chairman of Enterprise Risk Management Task Force of Committee on Corporate Counsel, Litigation Section, ABA
- Formerly Served on the Board of Advisors of BNA’s Toxics Law Reporter; BNA’s Products & Safety Liability Reporter; and Leader Publications’ Products Liability Law & Strategy
- Clients have described him as “a legend of the defense bar”, “well-prepared, tenacious, and strategic”, and “known for his unique ability to see litigation clearly and to convey the unvarnished truth.”
- Consistently recognized among the top lawyers in his field by Legal500 and Benchmark Litigation.