Hilary Kang is an associate in the Corporate & Securities group in Los Angeles and Palo Alto. Hilary focuses her practice on M&A, corporate securities and insurance regulatory matters. Her experience includes assisting sellers and buyers in connection with domestic and international business combination and investment transactions, particularly in the field of technology and cross-border transactions, including stock and asset acquisitions, joint ventures, divestitures, mergers, commercial agreements and venture capital investments. In addition to US clients, she also advises non-US clients seeking to acquire or invest in US businesses.
Hilary also has strong experience representing insurance industry clients, including both producers and insurers, in connection with licensing and holding company act applications before state insurance regulators.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Hilary was an associate with the international firm Dewey & LeBoeuf LLP.
- Advised a start-up mortgage guaranty insurer on the NAIC UCAA Review of Electronic Application Coordination and Processing process in connection with a 50-state licensing project, including obtaining licensure for the insurer.
- Provided regulatory guidance to title and escrow companies and appraisal management companies in obtaining regulatory approvals in connection with internal restructuring.
- Advised surplus line brokers on surplus line broker licensing and compliance issues, including producer compensation issues.
- Provided regulatory guidance to life reinsurance company in obtaining regulatory approvals in connection with an acquisition.
- Liaised with insurance regulators in connection with the domestication of a US branch of an alien insurer and provided regulatory guidance on California 1011(c) and withdrawal application, as well as corporate amendments applications.
- Assisted with representation of a Fortune 500 company in connection with over $130 million in reductions in security for self-insured workers compensation liabilities, including negotiation of required security deposits and conditions for maintenance of self-insured status.
University of California, Los Angeles, BA, summa cum laude
University of California, Berkeley School of Law, 法律博士