Lawrence R. Hamilton
保险监管及执行, 上市公司及企业管治, 金融机构并购
"He is an excellent attorney who is prompt, attentive and courteous - he is an expert in his field."
"He's a tremendously strong and technical lawyer." (2021)
Considered a “brilliant” attorney with a “very impressive command of the law.” Lawrence Hamilton attracts praise for his multifaceted insurance regulatory practice. (2020)
Sources report: “He has deep technical knowledge and understanding of the regulators, as well as an excellent sense of commercial practicalities.” (2018)
Larry Hamilton leads Mayer Brown's US Insurance Regulatory practice. Larry has a 50-state insurance regulatory practice and has extensive experience negotiating directly with insurance regulators, helping clients overcome regulatory obstacles and gain approval for their proposed forms of business arrangements. He advises clients in connection with corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, reserve financings, insurance-linked securities, pension risk transfers and the regulation of financial guarantees and other forms of non-payment insurance.
Larry is a co-founder of Mayer Brown’s Insurance and Capital Markets Convergence group, which uses the combined talents of the firm’s insurance and structured finance practices to ensure that transactions take into account the customs and expectations of both markets. He regularly advises US and European financial institutions on the insurance regulatory issues associated with new and complex investment structures, including the evolving changes in regulatory treatment of different types of investments by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
- Represented Aon in its acquisition of The Farmington Company and its affiliates, a group of related companies providing voluntary benefits insurance brokerage services, employee benefits plan design, consulting, administration and enrollment services, third party administration services and related insurance products and services.
- Represented Bristol-Myers Squibb in a $3.8 billion pension de-risking transaction with Athene, involving a first-of-its-kind plan termination solution where Athene agreed in advance to provide an annuity contract covering all obligations not paid via lump sums.
- Represented The Hartford in its $2.1 billion acquisition of The Navigators Group.
- Represented Nestlé S.A. in its sale of Gerber Life Insurance Company to Western & Southern Financial Group for $1.55 billion cash.
- The University of Chicago Law School, JD, with honors
Order of the Coif; Joseph Henry Beale Prize for legal research and writing
- Harvard College, AB, summa cum laude
Phi Beta Kappa
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Surplus Lines Law Group
- American Bar Association