Reginald Goeke is a co-leader of Mayer Brown’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution and Commercial Litigation practices. He is a skilled trial lawyer who represents national and multinational corporations in a variety of industries, with an emphasis on the financial services industry. He has tried cases to judgment in jury trials, bench trials and arbitrations. He also represents clients before federal regulatory agencies, including the US Securities and Exchange Commission, the US Department of Justice, HUD, the CFPB, the US Department of Labor, and the International Trade Commission.
Reginald is experienced in representing clients in a range of commercial litigations, including complex contract disputes, ERISA class actions, securities and shareholder derivative actions, trade secret and other intellectual property matters, false claims act actions, joint-venture and post-acquisition disputes, constitutional claims, and real estate disputes. In addition, he has represented Boards of Directors and Special Committees in numerous internal corporate investigations, including investigations into securities and ERISA law violations, accounting misstatements, and corporate malfeasance claims. He often represents clients at the intersection of complex regulatory and litigation issues, including securities law violations, fiduciary obligations, and model risk, conduct risk and sales practice risk issues.
Reginald brings a sophisticated understanding of a clients’ business goals, having previously served as a management consultant to corporate Boards of Directors, and as a strategy director for a global satellite communications company.
- Represented large domestic bank and a multinational bank in more than a dozen securities fraud and contract breach actions regarding the banks' issuances of RMBS securitizations. The matters resulted in very favorable settlements.
- Represented global financial company in six-month internal investigation, and before the SEC, the DOL, and other global regulators concerning securities and ERISA claims arising from an error in its computerized trading model.
- Represented major pharmaceutical company in securities, ERISA, and derivative actions, and in related internal investigation arising from disappointing results in clinical trial.
- Represented one of largest defense contractors in defending ERISA class action allegations related to fees charged and other fiduciary breach claims under ERISA plans.
- Represented medical device manufacturer in 9-week jury trial involving trademark and unfair competition claims, resulting in a judgment in favor of the client for $150 million.
- Defended paper company in ERISA class action seeking over $60 million in retiree health benefits, resulting in summary judgment in client's favor.
- Represented one of largest consumer energy companies in ERISA benefit claim, resulting in complete dismissal of claim.
- Represented one of largest home mortgage servicing companies in dispute over purchase of mortgage servicing rights, resulting in favorable settlement after trial.
- Represented large bank in False Claims Act and FIRREA claims being asserted by the US Department of Justice, resulting in DOJ taking no action on the False Claims Act claims, and a very favorable settlement of FIRREA claims.
- Represented major real estate investment trust in several disputes regarding real estate leases, easements and purchase agreements.
- Represented Frank Russell company in trade secret litigation, securing summary judgment for client.
- Represented one of the largest health care insurers in two-week arbitration with hospital provider raising contract and antitrust issues, resulting in very favorable decision for our client.
- Represented Turkish contractor in arbitration of contract breach claim with US general contractor resulting in judgment for more than the original arbitral demand amount.
- Represented major US bank in independent consultant review of bank practices as a result of consent orders with US OCC and CFPB.
- Represented one of the largest global asset managers in advocating to multiple regulatory bodies against designation as Systemically Important Financial Institution under Dodd Frank.
- Represented Independent Fiduciary Service in evaluating settlement in WorldCom ERISA Litigation for compliance with ERISA fiduciary obligations.
- Represented major insurer in overseeing insured’s defense of ERISA fiduciary breach claims.
- Represented major agro-chemical company as complainant in ITC investigation against foreign companies infringing client's patented process, resulting in very favorable settlements.
- Represented public company's special committee investigating allegations of options backdating. Represented special committee in derivative litigation related to same issues.
- Represented major online search engine company and online video website in copyright litigation.
- Represented major wireless carrier in ITC investigation and on appeal to Federal Circuit, resulting in reversal of ITC remedy determination that had adversely affected our client.
- Represented producer of tissue manufacturing equipment as complainant in ITC investigation in patent infringement claim against a Taiwanese importer, resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Represented manufacturer of industrial steam generators in trade secret arbitration against former Japanese licensee, resulting in very favorable settlement.
- Represented pharmaceutical company as a defendant in trade secret dispute in Pennsylvania state court, resulting in a transfer of the litigation to a favorable overseas venue for the client.
- Represented a telecommunications carrier in large securities and antitrust class actions.
- Represented software company's audit committee investigating alleged accounting improprieties.
- Represented major insurance company in fraud and contract action against borrower in commercial real estate transaction, resulting in very favorable recovery to client.
- Represented "Big Five" accounting firm against fraud and negligence claims, resulting in a dismissal.
Harvard Law School, JD, cum laude
Senior Editor, Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy
密西根大学, BA, summa cum laude
- US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US District Court for the District of Maryland
- US District Court for the Western District of New York