Dylan Geraets is an associate in Mayer Brown's Public Policy, Regulatory & Political Law and International Trade practices in Brussels. He advises clients on a wide range of issues in the field of international trade. His practice focuses on international dispute settlement, trade defence measures, customs rules, trade negotiations, export controls, and sanctions. Dylan represents clients in WTO dispute settlement proceedings and in proceedings before the Court of Justice of the European Union.
Dylan is experienced in advising and representing both multinational companies and sovereigns in respect of proceedings before WTO panels and the Appellate Body. In addition, he has experience in assisting clients in trade remedy investigations, such as anti-dumping and safeguard investigations. In this context he has been involved in several cases before the Court of Justice of the European Union.
On a daily basis, Dylan advises clients on the interpretation of rules and procedures impacting trade in goods and services. This includes the provision of advice on customs matters such as rules of origin, tariff classification, customs valuation, and the applicability of special custom procedures. In this regard, he had advised clients in respect of proceedings before customs and other relevant authorities of several EU Member States.
Dylan regularly advises clients on the implications of the EU’s export control regime in relation to certain dual-use goods and other sanctioned items. In addition, he has experience in advising clients in respect of their day-to-day sanctions compliance efforts under the EU sanctions regime, as well as with respect to the implementation of sanctions imposed by the United Nations.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown in 2015, Dylan was a PhD candidate at KU Leuven (Belgium). His doctoral dissertation entitled “Accession to the World Trade Organization: A Legal and Normative Analysis” was published in 2018 with Edward Elgar Publishing. In early 2016, Dylan gained valuable experience in the Appellate Body Secretariat of the WTO. Earlier in his career, Dylan served at the Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Economic Affairs of The Kingdom of The Netherlands as a trade policy advisor. He was based at the Permanent Representation of the Kingdom of the Netherlands to the WTO in Geneva.
In 2017, Dylan became an Affiliated Senior Researcher at KU Leuven and an Associate Fellow of the Leuven Centre for Global Governance Studies (GGS). He is a Member of the Academic Board of the ELSA Moot Court Competition on WTO Law (EMC2) and of the Society of International Economic Law (SIEL). He regularly speaks at international conferences, such as the SIEL Global Conference and the BIICL Annual Conference on WTO law. His research has been published in the Journal of International Economic Law, the World Trade Review, the Journal of World Trade, and the Global Trade and Customs Journal.
Dylan is fluent in English and German in addition to his native Dutch.
- Assistance to multinationals and sovereigns in several major WTO disputes, involving quota, trade defence measures, trade in services, trade-related aspects of intellectual property rights (“TRIPs”), and the basic non-discrimination principles;
- Assistance to various stakeholders, such as exporting producers, importers and industry associations, in EU trade defence investigations (dumping, anti-subsidy, and safeguard);
- Assistance to clients in customs proceedings before the domestic courts of EU member states;
- Advice to chemical companies on EU export control legislation, notably in respect of dual-use items;
- Representation of US and Indonesian clients before the Court of Justice of the European Union in cases against regulations imposing anti-dumping measures;
- Advice to several multinational companies on customs classification matters, including the review of the Harmonized System (“HS”) nomenclature in the World Customs Organization (“WCO”).
Maastricht University, 法学硕士
Maastricht Graduate School of Governance, MSc
- 布鲁塞尔律师公会（Nederlands Orde van Advocaten, balie Brussel）
- Associate Fellow of the Leuven Centre for Global Governance Studies (GGS)
- Visiting Lecturer at KU Leuven and University of Eastern Finland (UEF)
- Member of the Academic Board of the ELSA Moot Court Competition on WTO Law (EMC2)
- Member of the Society of International Economic Law (SIEL)