Leader of Africa and Mining; Co-leader of Global Projects
矿业, 关键矿物资源, 全球项目
'Ian Coles is world-class. Always on top of the file, fine legal mind, commercial and client driven.‘ He ‘is an exceptional lawyer’ and ‘is very knowledgeable in the mining space and in numerous geographies’.
"Ian Coles is superb in all aspects." "Ian is one of the greats."
Ian Coles concentrates his practice on all aspects of bank and debt finance, ranging from projects and other structured finance to commodities financing and restructuring. He represents banks and other financial institutions, sponsors, and other participants in finance transactions throughout the world.
Continually recommended by the legal directories, sources praise Ian for his skill in project finance. He is "unflappable, very experienced and an exceptionally good lawyer" (Chambers: Mining). He is “a stellar practitioner who receives widespread praise from peers” (Who's Who Legal: Mining). He is "highly regarded for lender-side representation in mining transactions, with peers noting his activity on high-profile project finance mandates" (Legal 500). He is “highly skilled and trusted. He has a unique ability to look through a complex problem and to charter a potential course through it." (Legal 500:Mining).
- Advising Sumitomo Metals & Mining (acting in consortium with its partner, Sumitomo Corporation), on its US$1.2 billion acquisition of a minority shareholding in the Teck-owned, Quebrada Blanca Copper Project in Chile and advising SMM on the related US $2.5 billion project financing of the Quebrada Blanca phase 2 project.
- Advised Sumitomo in the initial stages of its potential acquisition of an interest in and development of a lithium-mining project in Argentina
- Advising the US government and Afghanistan Ministry of Mines on the development of the mining industry in Afghanistan (mineral reserves potentially valued in excess of US$ 3 trillion and include gold, copper, iron ore, lithium and rare earths) with particular emphasis on the tendering process, model mining agreements and suitability of the mining laws. This was recognised in Financial Times Innovative Lawyer Awards 2011 as a “Stand-out” firm for our work on this and awarded the “Infrastructure/ Energy Team of the Year” at the Lawyer Awards 2012.
- Advised the lenders, including Société Générale and BNP Paribas on the financing and development of Roxgold Inc.'s Yaramoko gold project in Burkina Faso ("Africa – Mining and Metals Deal of the Year 2015" IJGlobal Europe and Africa Awards).
Continually recommended by the legal directories as a Leading Individual:
- Recognised as one of the "Top 10 Most Influential UK Project Lawyers to Watch in 2023". Business Today
- Listed in the Hall of Fame for Emerging Markets and Projects, Energy & Natural Resources: Mining & Minerals. "... and Ian Coles are exceptional in their field; friendly and commercial. Knowledgeable and very well-connected." "Great mining industry knowledge and contacts, particularly from Ian Coles." "Ian Coles as head of the mining practice, .... also very good". Legal 500
- Band 1: Energy & Natural Resources: Mining. Ian Coles is an esteemed finance attorney with considerable experience advising clients in the mining industry on the financing of projects. He regularly advises on transactions involving projects based in Africa and Latin America. He heads the firm's Africa and mining practices and co-heads the global projects practice. "Ian Coles is superb in all aspects." "Ian is one of the greats."
Band 2: Project Finance - Africa-wide. Ian Coles is respected for his expert handling of mining finance matters across sub-Saharan Africa. He leads the firm's Africa and mining practices from London and has a wealth of experience representing DFIs, institutional investors, sponsors and producers.
Band 3: Projects & Energy - Africa-wide. Ian Coles is respected for his expert handling of mining finance matters across sub-Saharan Africa. He leads the firm's Africa and mining practices from London and has a wealth of experience representing DFIs, institutional investors, sponsors and producers.
Foreign Expert in Africa-wide: Projects - UK. Ian Coles of Mayer Brown is an exceptional projects lawyer who acts as the head of the firm's mining and Africa practices. He regularly takes on project financing mandates in relation to mining developments in the region, with recent work including matters in Senegal, North Macedonia and Liberia. Chambers UK
- Harvard Law School, 法学硕士
- 英国剑桥大学, BA, First Class Honours
Co-Chair of the International Working Group, one of the sub-committee’s of the Critical Minerals Association
- Bar Association for Commerce, Finance & Industry, England