Tim Baines advises companies and financial institutions in the real estate, energy and sustainability sectors. Clients leverage his knowledge of UK planning and environmental regimes, renewables incentives regimes, and emissions and climate-related matters.
Tim often lectures on UK environmental law and renewable energy topics. In addition to his native English, Tim speaks fluent French.
Environmental and planning
- A US-based international corporation on the impact of corporate sustainability disclosure requirements across a number of jurisdictions.
- A major investment bank's environment, social and governance (ESG) legal working group on its ESG obligations.
- The owners of a large London office block on changes to S. 106 obligations and refinancing as well as environmental (EU ETS and SECR) regimes.
- A US-based fund on its bid for a multi-site chemicals business on remediation liabilities and potential indemnities / insurance solutions.
- The seller of part of a German chemicals business in conjunction with local counsel on environmental liabilities at several sites.
- A property investor on the environmental and planning issues relating to its purchase of many storage and distribution warehouses across England.
- Listed as Up and Coming for Environment and Climate Change, Tim Baines leads the environment practice at Mayer Brown. He boasts an impressive caseload which has seen him represent major investment firms in a plethora of matters concerning real estate, energy and sustainability. "He is very experienced in EU emissions trading." "Tim is a very good lawyer who is all over climate change matters." – Chambers UK
- Listed as a Next Generation Lawyer for Environment. "Mayer Brown International LLP's environment team is led by 'extremely good' counsel Tim Baines, who has a particular interest in advising clients in the real estate, energy, and sustainability sectors." – Legal 500
- Named as a Global Leader for Environment: "Tim Baines is a go-to practitioner for renewables incentives regimes and emission issues." "well-deserved market place reputation for achievement." (Climate Change) – Who’s Who Legal
- La Sorbonne, Paris IV
- Co-chair of Mayer Brown's London Work & Me Network
- Member of Steering Committee of Mayer Brown's London LGBT+ Network
- Member of Mayer Brown London Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Charities and Community Committee
- Mental Health First Aider