"Jon Van Gorp is acclaimed by clients as a ‘great negotiator’ and is known for his ‘broad perspective’ and his ability to ‘cut to the chase and find a solution that is workable".
Chambers Global 2015
Jon Van Gorp is co-leader of Mayer Brown’s Banking & Finance, Structured Finance and Capital Markets practices. He is based in our Chicago and New York offices.
Jon’s experience highlights his versatility and flexibility. The broad range of his work includes public and private securities offerings, mergers and acquisitions, assets sales, structured finance transactions, leveraged leases, derivatives, synthetic risk transfer programs, litigation/work outs/restructurings, government relations/lobbying and financial insurance. He develops novel approaches to funding difficult-to-finance assets such as nonperforming mortgage loans, distressed ABS and MBS, residential single family rental properties, mortgage servicing rights and servicing advances. He also assists clients in developing innovative solutions to fund their operations, sell or acquire asset portfolios and businesses, or manage and hedge their exposures by buying and selling risk.
Jon’s reputation for innovation was recognized by the Financial Times, which ranked a risk protection arrangement that he helped design as the second most innovative M&A transaction of 2010. In 2013, he advised on the purchase of mortgage assets in a Section 363 bankruptcy sale, which was named the “M&A Deal of the Year” in the “Over $1 Billion” category by M&A Advisor. The winning transaction was a Section 363 bankruptcy sale of substantially all operating and mortgage assets of Residential Capital, LLC for an aggregate purchase price of approximately $3 billion.
Jon excels at analyzing a client’s situation and proposing unique yet practical solutions. He has been a member of the legal teams that have completed many first-of-their-kind transactions, including:
- The first auto leveraged lease transaction funded with asset-backed debt
- The first synthetic transfer of risk related to a portfolio of consumer auto leases
- The first issuance of bank debt guaranteed by Farmer Mac
- The first auto receivables shelf registration statement to go effective under regulation AB
- The first publicly offered CDO of mezzanine MBS debt
- The first securitization of Mexican mortgage loans funded in the US capital markets
- The first synthetic captive auto finance company funded and administrated by an independent commercial bank
- The first Non-Performing Loan re-REMIC securitization
Jon has been consistently ranked as an outstanding lawyer by Chambers USA, Chambers Global, Legal 500 and IFLR 1000 each year since becoming a partner. Below is a summary of his top tier rankings and comments provided by his clients over the last five years.
- • Jon is hailed for having the "rare ability to combine corporate law with business acumen." Chambers USA 2016
- • “Sources comment that ‘he's a very good technician and very in line with the marketplace’ and ‘has a practical approach and a way of calming situations that might otherwise become heated.’ Chambers Global 2016
- “Jon Van Gorp receives widespread acclaim for his expertise in MBS transactions.” Chambers USA 2015
- “Jon is well regarded in the market for his innovative approach to deals in the real estate market.” Legal 500 USA 2015
- “We consider him a business partner and not just an outside counsel.” Chambers Global 2014
- “Co-head Jon Van Gorp is ‘a real pleasure to work with’ according to client feedback.” Legal 500 USA 2014
- “‘Very thoughtful, creative and knowledgeable,’ [Jon] is ‘able to separate what can kill you from what will kill you in this space.’” Chambers Global 2013
- “Knows his subject inside-out,” “communicates efficiently and effectively” and “always adds value by offering new insight or comfort on difficult issues.” Lexology’s 2013 Client Choice Awards
Jon is frequently sought by top-tier media such as the Associated Press, Bloomberg News, Dow Jones Newswires, Financial Times, The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal to provide insight and analysis of issues related to the finance and banking industries.
As an industry-recognized thought leader, Jon is regularly invited to speak on finance issues and he has published articles on a wide range of structured finance-related topics. In 2008, Jon edited and co-authored Credit Market & Subprime Distress: Responding To Legal Issues, a best-selling legal treatise on the credit crisis published by the Practicing Law Institute. Reviews of this book have praised it for providing “a clear analysis of the relevant issues without getting bogged down in the minutiae of the procedures.”
In 2008, Jon was named on Crain’s Chicago Business “40 Under 40,” a prestigious honor where he was applauded for his ability to “operate like an executive, moving beyond legal questions and offering strategic and tactical insight rare for a lawyer of his vintage.” This is one of the most prestigious awards that a young professional can receive. Jon was also recognized by International Law Office (ILO) as a Client Choice award winner in 2013. The award recognizes law firms and lawyers around the world that stand apart for excellent client service.
Jon is an active leader in the Chicago community. He is an adjunct professor at the John Marshall Law School in Chicago, a Leadership Greater Chicago fellow, a Member of the Regional Board of Bottom Line, and a Member of the Carrington Charitable Foundation Advisory Board, which provides mobility and stability to America’s wounded servicemen and women. Jon is also the Treasurer and a Trustee of the Kenilworth Union Church.