Prof. Dr. Eugen Wingerter is a senior associate* in the Düsseldorf office of Mayer Brown's Antitrust practice.
Eugen advises on all aspects of German and European competition law, with a focus on merger control and cartel investigations. He also advises on competition compliance and market dominance matters. Due to his dual qualification as a lawyer and economist, he is an expert in competition and digital economics. His industry focus includes digital and high-tech companies, automotive, raw materials and recycling industries as well as financial services.
Eugen has completed a PhD thesis on European competition law, which was awarded the Faculty Prize of the University of Munster. He teaches as a professor at the University of Applied Sciences and Art in Dortmund.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown, Eugen has worked for a renowned international law firm in Düsseldorf.
*no admission of the German bar association
- Advising Borromin on the acquisition of EBERLE Controls GmbH.
- Regular advice in German, European as well as multi-jurisdictional merger control proceedings.
- Advising Aurubis in complex Phase 2 EU merger control proceedings with regard to the acquisition of the Metallo Group by Aurubis.**
- Advising Aurubis in complex Phase 2 merger control proceedings before the German Federal Cartel Office with regard to Aurubis' acquisition of Deutsche Giessdraht GmbH.**
- Advising the Japanese Toppan Group in merger control proceedings before the German Federal Cartel Office with regard to the acquisition of the decor printing provider Interprint.**
- Advising LKQ in EU merger control proceedings and subsequent referral to a national competition authority with regard to LKQ's acquisition of Stahlgruber.**
- Advising and defending in cartel (fine) proceedings before the German Federal Cartel Office and the European Commission.
(** In previous law firm.)
Second State Law Examination (bar exam), Düsseldorf
Doctor's Degree (PhD in Law), University of Muenster (Dr. jur.)
Legal Clerkship (Referendariat), Higher Regional Court Münster
University of Hagen, Diplom-Kaufmann (Master's Degree in Business Administration)
First State Law Examination, University of Muenster
Translator for Russian-German
Studies in Münster, Exeter (Great Britain) and at the Open University of Hagen
- Faculty Award of the University of Münster for the dissertation in European antitrust law.