Sean Prior is a partner in the Singapore office of Mayer Brown's Project Finance practice and is a highly experienced lawyer in the FSRU project sector and on LNG transactions generally.
Sean is currently advising CLP on the development of its Hong Kong LNG import project, and is actively working on other LNG import projects using FSRUs in Vietnam, India, Singapore, Indonesia, Senegal, Jamaica, Mozambique and South Africa. Sean’s active clients currently include JERA, POSCO, SK Gas, Karadeniz, a confidential client and H-Energy. Sean advises both owners and charterers/project owners on FSRU projects, and is experienced at considering issues from both sides of the table.
Sean is also an experienced projects and project finance lawyer and has worked on major LNG projects such as advising the lenders on the US$2.8 billion Donggi Senoro LNG project and advising MOL as FSRU operator and sponsor to the Jawa 1 LNG-to-power project in Indonesia, one of the most significant LNG projects to have closed in the region. Sean has also previously advised a confidential client on the acquisition of an interest in the Summit LNG terminal in Bangladesh.
Sean also has extensive experience advising on upstream oil and gas transactions and acquisition and financing of energy assets, including share and asset purchases, joint venture agreements and shareholder arrangements.
- Advising Karadeniz in relation to the development of an FSRU-to-powership project in South Africa, including the development of a suite of documentation consisting of multiple FSRU charter & FSRU O&M agreements, the gas sales agreement, drafting and negotiating the long-term LNG SPA and advising on interface issues in respect of the PPA.
- Advising a confidential client in connection with all aspects of its LNG-to-power project in South Korea, including the development of a multi-user LNG terminal use agreement to be utilised in connection with its LNG regasification terminal and drafting and negotiating the long-term LNG SPA.
- Advising H-Energy on all aspects of its LNG import project in West India, including advising on a regasification services agreement, a terminal use agreement to support its proposed onshore LNG import terminal in India.
- Advising JERA in connection with its participation in a small-scale LNG terminal project in Vietnam, which has included providing local regulatory advice relating to FSRU import regulations.
- Advising JERA and other members of its consortium in connection with an FSRU-to-powership project in Vietnam, which has involved extensive and detailed analysis of all Vietnamese structuring and other legal issues in relation to how such an integrated project would work, including consultations with regulators on a named basis.
- Advising a confidential FSRU owner in respect of (i) its bid to provide an FSRU in connection with the First Gen FSRU/LNG import project in the Philippines; and (ii) a separate confidential FSRU/LNG import project in the Philippines in joint venture with a major LNG supplier.
- Advised Mitsui O.S.K. Lines on its participation in the Jawa 1 LNG-to-power project in Indonesia including advising on shareholder and shareholder financing arrangements, FSRU services agreement, ship building contract and ship management agreement, and due diligence on the other project documents and the project finance agreements (Asia Pacific Power Deal of the Year 2019 by Project Finance International).
- Advising CLP in connection with the Hong Kong Offshore LNG project, including drafting and amending the FSRU time charter party and regasification services agreement, multi-user terminal use agreement, and port services agreement.
- Advising a confidential consortium in connection with an FSRU to Powership project in Vietnam backed by EVN.
- Advising a confidential FSRU owner in connection with a proposed FSRU charter and operation and maintenance agreement in Jamaica.
- Advising a confidential client in connection with the development of a bespoke break-bulk and reloading services agreement with PGN relating to its FSRU/LNG import project in Lampung, Indonesia.
- Advising Karadeniz in respect of its LNG-to-powership project in Mozambique, which has involved advising on an FSRU charter party, power purchase agreement and LNG supply arrangements. We have been involved in assisting on the LNG procurement tender and drafting and amending a bespoke LNG supply document for the client, as well as all aspects of the PPA.
- Advising Karadeniz on the development of an LNG-to-power powership project in Senegal, including advising on the FSRU charter, LNG sale and purchase agreement and power purchase agreement.
- Advising Excelerate Energy in relation to the development of a multi-user FSRU/LNG terminal project in the Philippines including drafting and amending a multi-user TUA.
- Advising the owner on an FSRU time charter to provide FSRU services to a major existing project in the Americas.
- Advised a confidential FSRU owner on its bid for the AGL LNG Import Project in Australia.
- Advised a confidential client on its acquisition of an interest in the Summit LNG terminal in Bangladesh.
- Advising Neptune Energy in connection with various issues relating to upstream oil and gas developments in Indonesia and LNG sale and purchase arrangements.
- Advised LNG Link on all aspects of its small-scale LNG project, which envisages the purchasing LNG in full cargo lots, using an LNG terminal for breaking bulk, and distributing LNG in China in ISO containers.
- Advised a US investor on two floating regasification infrastructure tenders in Indonesia.
- Advising and representing a FSRU owner in connection with a significant dispute in relation to multiple aspects of a long term charter and O&M services agreement.
LNG SPA and Other LNG Experience
- Advising PV Gas in Vietnam in connection with (i) a long-term LNG sale and purchase agreement with a confidential LNG seller and (ii) the preparation of a detailed, bespoke heads of terms for an LNG SPA, to be used in its proposed tender for LNG supply.
- Advising a confidential North Asian buyer in connection with a long-term LNG procurement tender, which has involved negotiating with a number of major LNG portfolio players and LNG trading companies and also in respect of its recently mandated second tranche of LNG procurement.
- Advising LNG Group Panama in connection with a confidential LNG sale and purchase agreement.
- Advising a confidential LNG ship owner in connection with its bid for multiple vessels relating to the Mozambique Area 1 Shipping tender including drafting and amending a long-term LNG time charter party agreement.
- Advised a major North Asian investor on its proposed investment into a large scale LNG liquefaction and export project in the US.
- Advising an LNG buyer in a dispute under 2 LNG SPAs; the disputes concern the exercise of termination rights and are subject to English law and NY law respectively; ICC arbitration with Singapore seat; over USD 100 million in dispute.
- Advised the lenders, including JBIC, on the US$2.8 billion Donggi Senoro LNG project financing, leading the Indonesian advice for the majority of that period, including on due diligence, structuring and regulatory analysis and assisting with finance documents.
- Advised, while on secondment, the sponsors on development and operational issues with respect to major power projects in Indonesia, Vietnam, Bangladesh, Mynamar and other Asian jurisdictions.
- Advised an Asian developer on joint development arrangements for wind and solar power development in Vietnam.
- Advised a European developer on joint development arrangements for wind and solar power development in Vietnam.
- Advised a Singaporean developer on its proposed investment into a portfolio of mini-hydropower projects in Indonesia.
- Advising the sponsors, including Kansai Electric, on the development of the 66 MW Deedoke hydropower project in Myanmar.
- Advising Kansai Electric on the development of a proposed 300 MW temporary solar power facility in Myanmar.
- Advising an African developer on its development of a 200MW gas fired power plant in Mozambique.
- Advising the sponsors on shareholder arrangements in relation to a 135MW expansion project in Cambodia.
- Advised PLN on its procurement of the Pontianak gas peaker IPP; and Sulut-3 coal-fired IPP, in Indonesia, including drafting PPAs.
- Advised Karadeniz Power on its successful bid for the provision of large scale leased powership capacity to PLN.
- Advised a confidential client on the proposed financing of the Batang Toru 4 x 127.5MW hydro peaker IPP in Indonesia.
- Advised a Chinese lender on a proposed US$1.8 billion Chittagong 2 x 612MW coal fired IPP project financing in Bangladesh.
- Advised the lenders on the financing of the China Shenhua-sponsored 600 MW Sumsel 1 coal-fired IPP in Indonesia.
- Advised Wärtsilä on EPC contracting issues in Indonesia.
- Advised Enel Group on Chevron’s multi-billion dollar proposed sale of its Darajat and Salak geothermal assets in Indonesia.
- Advised the lenders and the workout Steering Group on the £795 million project financing of the Teesside Power Project, including advising on a variety of restructuring and workout options and a series of complex commercial transactions over several years.
- Advised the lenders on the Tapada Power Project in Portugal, including on the MIBEL single Iberian market arrangements and their effect on the PPAs.
- Advised the lenders, and then the administrative receivers, of Shotton Combined Heat & Power Limited, in particular liaising with regulators to ensure that it was the first power station in the UK to be allowed to buy and sell electricity whilst in receivership.
Contentious LNG Matters
- Representing an LNG buyer in a dispute under two LNG SPAs; the disputes concern the exercise of termination rights and are subject to English law and NY law respectively; ICC arbitration with Singapore seat; over USD 100 million in dispute.
- Advising an LNG project owner in connection with termination and related rights under a LNG SPA subject to English law and ICC arbitration in London.
Oil and Gas
- Advised a major Japanese trading house on a proposed investment into two blocks (one a long standing operating block in Southeast Asia).
- Advised a global developer on the project financing of an Indonesian gas storage facility and separately on general Indonesian regulatory and contractual matters.
- Advised an Australian developer on two major investments into the Indonesian coal bed methane sector, two separate gas sales agreements and related contractual work.
- Advised an oil and gas investor on a dispute with counterparties under Indonesian gas transportation arrangements.
- Advised an upstream developer on its farm-in into the North Madura PSC.
- Advised an Asian developer on its purchase of an interest in the SES PSC.
- Advised an Asian developer on a significant proposed investment into one of the leading Indonesian coal bed methane groups.
- Advised a Middle Eastern investor on environmental and disaster management issues in relation to an upstream Indonesian holding.
- Advised a global bank on a proposed Hong Kong listing of a major Indonesian power and gas group.
- Advised Mubadala on the farm-out of its Kerapu PSC interest to Japex and on Indonesian drilling arrangements.
- Advised a Japanese developer on its bid for Anadarko's oil and gas assets in Indonesia.
- Advised a global bank on the refinancing of its term loan facilities for the listed Benakat group of companies.
- Advised a Singapore developer on structuring the sale of early stage gas from a coal bed methane tenement in Indonesia.
- Advised a Japanese developer on its development of a large CNG transportation project in Indonesia.
12 月 01 日2017 年
9 月 12 日2017 年
9 月 04 日2017 年
11 月 27 日2018
The College of Law, Post Graduate Diploma in Law
University of the Witwatersrand, Bachelor of Laws
University of the Witwatersrand, Bachelor of Commerce
- Vice-chairman, AMPLA Singapore
- Next Generation Partner - Energy: Foreign Firms, Singapore – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2023)
- Rising Star - Energy: Foreign Firms, Singapore – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2020-2022)
- Next Generation Lawyer - Projects and Energy: Foreign Firms, Singapore – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2019)
- Next Generation Lawyer - Energy: Foreign Firms, Singapore – The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2019)
- Rising Star - Energy and Infrastructure, Indonesia – IFLR1000 (2018-2020)
- Rising Star - Project Development, Indonesia – IFLR1000 (2018-2022)
- Rising Star - Energy and Infrastructure – IFLR1000 (2016)
- Leading Practitioner, Energy – Who's Who Legal (2015)
- Infrastructure Lawyer of the Year, Emerging Markets Awards – The Asian Lawyer (2015)