Antitrust & Competition, Intellectual Property Counseling & Prosecution, Commercial Litigation
IP clients turn to Alan Grimaldi for representation in the consumer goods, smartphone, televisions, computers, semiconductors, health care, chemical, electronics, automotive, banking, defense, energy and oil, and drug industries. Clients benefit from his extensive experience in both offensive and defensive patent and other intellectual property litigation, mediation and arbitration. A few of his accomplishments include a jury verdict of non-infringement after a five-week trial in the federal court in Arizona, a $76 million judgment against the United States in a breach of contract case for a Midwestern banking client and a reversal of a damages award by the Federal Circuit for a client in the airline industry. Most notably, he has tried, been a part of a trial team or has helped settle plaintiff cases that resulted in well over $350 million to clients in the technology and banking industries.
- Maxell, Ltd. v. ZTE Corporation et al. (E.D. Tex. 2018) – Part of the trial team that secured a $43.3m verdict in patent enforcement action involving wireless technology–smartphone applications and infrastructure.
- Many patent infringement cases in district courts and ITC cases for Maxell, Ltd. against Apple, Vizio, Lenovo, and BLU in the smartphone and television industries.
- U.S. Philips Corp. v. LG Electronics, et al. (S.D.N.Y.) Represented Philips in the US arm of worldwide litigation against LG for infringement of patent essential to the JPEG compression standard, working with multiple international law firms to coordinate litigations in several jurisdictions, including Korea, the Netherlands, Germany, the United Kingdom and France. (eight-figure settlement was achieved).
- U.S. Philips Corp. v. Palm, Inc. (N. D. Cal.) Represented Philips in assertion of patent essential to JPEG compression standard, accusing Palm’s mobile phones of infringement. Resulted in favorable seven figure settlement after mediation.
- Chambers & Partners USA – Washington DC: Intellectual Property: Litigation
- IAM Patent 1000 – DC Metro Area
- Managing Intellectual Property – IP Star and Luminary
- Washington DC Patent Law Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers
- Washington Post Best Lawyer’s for Washington DC & Baltimore
- The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, 法務博士
Catholic University Law Review, Editor (1969-1971)
- The City College of The City University of New York, BS, Chemical Engineering
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US International Trade Commission
- US Supreme Court
- US District Court for the District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Federal Claims
- US District Court for the District of Maryland
- US Patent and Trademark Office