”Joanne Du focuses on assisting Chinese corporates and state-owned institutions with cross-border oil and gas transactions. "Her professionalism and rich knowledge of the industry have given us a good impression," remarks one client.”Chambers Asia Pacific (2019)
Joanne Du is a partner of Mayer Brown LLP, and a Registered Foreign Consultant (New York, USA) of Mayer Brown.
Joanne advises international and national energy companies, petrochemical companies, energy services companies, energy project funds, as well as other investors that focus on investment in the energy sector. She assists energy companies’ in their domestic and international investments, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, joint operations around the world. Her work includes the advice and assistance to the clients in the bid and tendering process, and on the investment assessment, strategy and structures, due diligence review, share acquisitions, asset acquisitions, investment and operation compliance, production sharing contracts, participation agreements, leases, concession agreements, joint studies, joint operating, farm-in/farm-out agreements, gas sales and distribution, LNG SPAs. She has been involved in a number of headlined transactions in China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Azerbaijan, Vietnam, Cambodia, the United States, Canada, Africa, Middle East, and other energy centers around the world.
Joanne is an active member of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators. She passed the National Judicial Examination by People’s Republic of China.
Joanne speaks fluent English and Mandarin.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Advised a Chinese NOC on its asset acquisition in Middle East from an international major oil and gas.
- Advised an Australian oil and gas company on its acquisition of a producing gas field in China.
- Advised an attempted acquisition by a Chinese NOC of large oil and gas assets owned by two international majors in Eurasia.
- Advised a U.S. major energy company on its matters related to its joint venture with the Chinese partner and potential claim assessments against its Chinese partner.
- Advised IDG equity fund on its investment in Eagle Ford shale gas projects in Texas in the United States.
- Advised an international oil and gas company on its acquisition of an interest of an LNG terminal in China, market entry to the LNG sector in China, and joint venture arrangements.
- Advised Sino Gas on its investments in China CBM sectors, and acquisitions including two attempted Chinese domestic acquisitions and joint venture transactions, negotiations of shareholders agreements, shareholders loan agreement; and advised on daily operational matters and regulatory issues in China.
- Advised a U.S. services company on the plan and structure of its joint venture with Sinopec and advised on the negotiation of various issues under the joint venture agreements.
- Advised CNOOC on its proposed acquisition of independent oil company owning largest oilfield offshore Africa (Ghana).
- Advised CNOOC on its investment in the offshore leases owned by Nexen and Statoil of the Gulf of Mexico in the United States (prior to the equity acquisition of Nexen).
- Advised CNPC on its joint venture investment and operational matters in Argentina, Peru, and Equatorial Guinea.
- Advised a consortium of international investors led by Maju Investments (Mauritius) Pte Ltd, a subsidiary of Temasek Holdings (Private) Limited in the acquisition of a majority stake in the U.S.-based oilfield service company Frac Tech Holdings, LLC.
- Advised the acquisition by PT Pertamina (Persero), Indonesia's state-owned oil and gas company, of BP West Java Limited from BP plc.
- Advised an Asian national company in its bid and potential acquisition of participating interest in several projects owned and operated by Murphy Oil Company in Malaysia.
- Advised a Eurasia oil and gas company in its Chinese joint venture investments with a Chinese company in the LNG terminal and LNG trading.
- Advised a U.S. independent energy company in its negotiation of a shale gas project with CNPC.
- Advised a U.S. major energy company in its negotiation of a shale gas project with CNPC.
- Represented Frac Tech International on its foreign investment, joint venture negotiation, and operational matters with SINOPEC.
- Represented SinoGas on investment, operational matters and gas sales and distribution of its CBM projects in China.
- Advised a Chinese NOC on a range of commercial and legal issues under its Chinese CBM PSC with a foreign contractor.
- Advised a U.S. major energy company on the investment and operational matters of its gas project with CNPC in China.
- Advised a U.S. major energy company on the investment and operational matters of several offshore projects with CNOOC.
- Advised a HK utility company on its gas purchase agreement with CNPC from the Central Asia.
- Advised an international energy company on its exploration joint venture with an Indonesian JSX listed energy company covering twelve PSCs, and related farming arrangements.
- Advised on the proposed subscription by Temasek of shares of Green Dragon Gas Ltd., a large developer and producer of coal bed methane in China.
LNG/Natural Gas Sale and Purchase Agreements
- Advised two Chinese NOCs on its drafting, reviewing and negotiation of their long-term LNG SPAs with North American suppliers.
- Advised a Chinese NOC on the operational matters, implementations and enforcement of its long-term LNG MSA with a North American supplier.
- Advised a Eurasia oil and gas company on its LNG supply to China, including a long-term LNG SPA with Chinese partners, heads of agreement, share acquisition and joint venture agreements for the LNG terminal and LNG trading.
- Represented a Chinese company on the negotiation and drafting of its LNG SPA with the Australia supplier.
New York University, LLM
China University of Political Science and Law, LLB
- Highly Regarded – Energy and Infrastructure, China – IFLR1000 (2021, 2022, 2022/23)
- Highly Regarded – Energy and Infrastructure, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2021, 2022, 2022/23)
- Highly Regarded – M&A, China – IFLR1000 (2021, 2022, 2022/23)
- Highly Regarded – M&A, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2021, 2022, 2022/23)
- Highly Regarded – Project development, China – IFLR1000 (2021, 2022, 2022/23)
- Highly Regarded – Project development, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2021, 2022, 2022/23)
- Highly Regarded - Energy, China – IFLR1000 (2022/23)
- Highly Regarded - Energy, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2022/23)
- Highly Regarded - Oil and Gas, China – IFLR1000 (2022/23)
- Highly Regarded - Oil and Gas, Hong Kong – IFLR1000 (2022/23)
- Leading Individual - Energy & Natural Resources (International Firms), China – Chambers Greater China Region (2022, 2023)
- Leading Individual - Energy & Natural Resources (International Firms), China – Chambers Asia Pacific (2012-2021)
- Leading Individual - Energy & Natural Resources (International Firms), China – Chambers Global (2012-2022)
- Recognized - Energy and Natural Resources Law (International Firms), Beijing – Best Lawyers (2019)
- "She shows good judgement." - Energy & Natural Resources (International Firms), China – Chambers Asia Pacific (2021)