Legal 500 2022
“He is one of the stars of his generation.”
“Highly competent and quick to identify key issues. We are able to resolve an issue that had been disputed for several months, in the matter of weeks.”
“… very good at thinking through “big picture” issues and strategy and is a very good person to have in any discussion to provide an alternative point of view.”
“… very competent and key figure in resolving a complex regulatory issue, with pressing cross-border issues. Highly recommended.”
“… stands out for his encyclopaedic knowledge of regulatory engagement with the financial services sector.”
“… has an astonishing work ethic, amazing attention to detail and remains calm and good-humoured under pressure.”
“… energetic, bright and the type of lawyer you want by your side on a complex contentious matter.”
Chris Chapman is a partner in Mayer Brown’s global Financial Services Regulatory & Enforcement and Litigation & Dispute Resolution practices and is based in London.
Chris advises banks, insurers, other financial institutions and their senior managers on contentious and non-contentious regulatory issues under UK and EU law, including internal and external investigations and domestic and cross-border transactions and matters involving regulatory and law enforcement authorities, such as the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. He also represents financial institutions in litigation and arbitration disputes.
Including experience prior to joining Mayer Brown:
Investigations and enforcement
- Advising a major international investment bank on a global market abuse and antitrust investigation.
- Advising a major international investment bank on an insider dealing investigation.
- Advising a major international insurance firm on a market-leading FCA enforcement investigation into bribery and corruption issues.
- Advising a major international insurance firm on an FCA enforcement investigation in the life insurance, pensions and retirement and asset management sectors.
- Advising a major retail insurance firm and its CEO on an FCA enforcement investigation relating to governance, systems and controls, misselling and complaints handling.
Advising a major international investment bank on an international tax fraud investigation.
- Advising a major international investment bank on an internal investigation into bribery and corruption issues.
- Advising a consumer credit provider on a judicial review of the Financial Ombudsman’s service relating to an industry wide approach to redress for missold financial products
- Advising insurers and banks on various mass consumer liability exposures arising out of regulatory issues and strategies and schemes for dealing with them.
- Advising various financial services firms on regulatory investigations and exposures relating to payment protection insurance.
Litigation and arbitration
- Advising on follow on litigation and liability issues arising from regulatory investigations and enforcement actions, in particular in the UK and (working with US colleagues) in the US.
- Advising various major international investment banks on a series of civil, administrative and criminal court actions and investigations in the UK and Europe relating to derivative contracts with European local authorities.
- Advising a major international investment bank on a high value claim by European Sovereign State relating to derivative transactions and primary dealer obligations.
- Managing a portfolio of swaps litigation in the UK for a major retail bank.
- Advising on various disputes under sale and purchase agreements, in particular relating to liabilities to retail financial services customers.
- Advising consumer credit lenders on judicial reviews of the UK Financial Ombudsman Service relating to payment protection insurance.
- Advising a pensions firm on a potential judicial review of the Financial Ombudsman Service relating to a portfolio of customer claims.
- Advising on various international arbitrations, involving different rules and jurisdictions, in particular on behalf of financial institutions and in the telecommunications sector.
- Acting for the British Bankers Association and a series of banks on a leading payment protection insurance judicial review, BBA v FSA and FOS  EWHC 999 (Admin).
Non-contentious regulatory advice
- Various engagements advising on UK and EU pass-porting, authorization and licensing requirements.
- Various engagements advising on compliance with UK senior persons regimes.
- Advising on regulatory notifications and communications, including under Principle 11, and in the context of cross-border issues involving notifications to multiple regulators in different jurisdictions.
- Advising on client money issues, including related risks in an insolvency context.
- Advising on compliance with the FCA’ guidance on outsourcing and managing related regulatory exposures.
- Advising on the UK ring-fencing regime for retail banks.
- Advising on various aspects of the EU UCITS regime.
- Advising on regulatory trends and emerging risks.
- Providing a wide range of advice on other regulatory matters including in relation to digital assets.
Victoria University of Wellington, LLB, First Class Honors
Victoria University of Wellington, BA
- New Zealand
- Listed as a key lawyer, Chris possesses a ‘keen eye for the client’s best interests’. 'Chris Chapman – recent partner keen to prove himself, pugnacious and with a keen eye for the client’s best interests.’ (Legal 500 2023: Banking Litigation).
- 'Chris Chapman is brilliant – he is always across the detail and has great judgment.’ ‘Chris Chapman is very good, he provides excellent mixture of technical legal analysis coupled with real world pragmatism and is very good at thinking through solutions and next steps.’ ‘Chris Chapman is an exceptional lawyer – very insightful, pragmatic and a pleasure to work with.’ ‘We had many phone calls and emails back and forth with the firm’s partner, Chris Chapman and other team members. Every email was answered in a timely and informative manner. Nothing was ever an inconvenience for Chris.’ (Legal 500 2023: Corporate and Commercial).
- ‘Chris Chapman and his team have a good understanding of regulatory developments including in relation to remuneration and nomination topics.’ ‘Chris Chapman is excellent. He understands very quickly what we need and then delivers it. He is a pleasure to work with.’ Chris Chapman is brilliant – he is always across the detail and has great judgment.’ Chris Chapman is very good, he provides an excellent mixture of technical legal analysis coupled with real world pragmatism and is very good at thinking through solutions and next steps.’ ‘Chris Chapman is brilliant – he immediately hones in on the key issues and then provides thoughtful solutions to financial regulatory issues. His calmness under pressure also makes him fantastic to work with. I can unreservedly recommend him.’ ‘I have been working closely with Chris Chapman, Musonda Kapotwe on a challenging international regulatory matter, involving complex legal issues, and difficult strategic questions. The team is outstanding – focused, innovative, very well organised, and dedicated to obtaining the best outcome possible for the client. Couldn’t really ask for more!’ (Legal 500 2023: Corporate and Commercial, Financial Services).
- Listed as a key lawyer for Banking Litigation and Fintech, Chris Chapman is noted for defending financial institutions against mass claims brought by retail customers(Legal 500 2022).
- ‘Chris Chapman is very good at thinking through “big picture” issues and strategy and is a very good person to have in any discussion to provide an alternative point of view.’. He 'is energetic, bright and the type of lawyer you want by your side on a complex contentious matter.’ Chris 'stands out for his encyclopaedic knowledge of contentious financial services work, his astonishing work ethic and his calm and good humour under pressure.’ ‘... very competent and key figure in resolving a complex regulatory issue, with pressing cross-border issues. Highly recommended.’(Legal 500 2022: Financial Services: Contentious).
- Chris Chapman stands out for his encyclopaedic knowledge of regulatory engagement with the financial services sector. He seems to have been involved at the heart of every major issue the sector has faced over the last 15 years. He has an astonishing work ethic, amazing attention to detail and remains calm and good-humoured under pressure. He is one of the stars of his generation.’ (Legal 500 2022: Financial Services: Non-Contentious/Regulatory).
- Listed under 'Other key lawyers' for Banking Litigation, Fintech and Financial Services. Chris Chapman is exceptionally user-friendly and knowledgeable. An agile thinker who integrates seamlessly with the in-house team and pro-actively thinks about managing costs to deliver the most effective value-add’. (Legal 500 2021).