Chris Chapman is a partner in Mayer Brown’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice in London and a member of the Firm’s global Financial Services Regulatory & Enforcement practice.
Chris advises banks, insurers, other financial institutions and their senior managers on contentious regulatory issues, including internal and external investigations and domestic and cross-border matters involving regulatory and law enforcement authorities, such as the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. He was previously head of contentious insurance regulation at a large international law firm.
Chris acts on litigation and arbitration disputes as well as on contentious regulatory matters.
He also advises on non-contentious regulatory matters under UK and EU law, and represents financial institutions in litigation and arbitration disputes.
Including experience prior to joining Mayer Brown:
Investigations and enforcement
- Advising a major international investment bank on a global market abuse and antitrust investigation.
- Advising a major international investment bank on an insider dealing investigation.
- Advising a major international insurance firm on a market-leading FCA enforcement investigation into bribery and corruption issues.
- Advising a major international insurance firm on an FCA enforcement investigation in the life insurance, pensions and retirement and asset management sectors.
- Advising a major retail insurance firm and its CEO on an FCA enforcement investigation relating to governance, systems and controls, misselling and complaints handling.
Advising a major international investment bank on an international tax fraud investigation.
- Advising a major international investment bank on an internal investigation into bribery and corruption issues.
- Advising a consumer credit provider on a judicial review of the Financial Ombudsman’s service relating to an industry wide approach to redress for missold financial products
- Advising insurers and banks on various mass consumer liability exposures arising out of regulatory issues and strategies and schemes for dealing with them.
- Advising various financial services firms on regulatory investigations and exposures relating to payment protection insurance.
Litigation and arbitration
- Advising on follow on litigation and liability issues arising from regulatory investigations and enforcement actions, in particular in the UK and (working with US colleagues) in the US.
- Advising various major international investment banks on a series of civil, administrative and criminal court actions and investigations in the UK and Europe relating to derivative contracts with European local authorities.
- Advising a major international investment bank on a high value claim by European Sovereign State relating to derivative transactions and primary dealer obligations.
- Managing a portfolio of swaps litigation in the UK for a major retail bank.
- Advising on various disputes under sale and purchase agreements, in particular relating to liabilities to retail financial services customers.
- Advising consumer credit lenders on judicial reviews of the UK Financial Ombudsman Service relating to payment protection insurance.
- Advising a pensions firm on a potential judicial review of the Financial Ombudsman Service relating to a portfolio of customer claims.
- Advising on various international arbitrations, involving different rules and jurisdictions, in particular on behalf of financial institutions and in the telecommunications sector.
- Acting for the British Bankers Association and a series of banks on a leading payment protection insurance judicial review, BBA v FSA and FOS  EWHC 999 (Admin).
Non-contentious regulatory advice
- Various engagements advising on UK and EU pass-porting, authorization and licensing requirements.
- Various engagements advising on compliance with UK senior persons regimes.
- Advising on regulatory notifications and communications, including under Principle 11, and in the context of cross-border issues involving notifications to multiple regulators in different jurisdictions.
- Advising on client money issues, including related risks in an insolvency context.
- Advising on compliance with the FCA’ guidance on outsourcing and managing related regulatory exposures.
- Advising on the UK ring-fencing regime for retail banks.
- Advising on various aspects of the EU UCITS regime.
- Advising on regulatory trends and emerging risks.
Victoria University of Wellington, LLB, First Class Honors
Victoria University of Wellington, BA
- England and Wales
- New Zealand