Chris Chapman is a partner in Mayer Brown’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice in London and a member of the Firm’s global Financial Services Regulatory & Enforcement practice.
Chris has considerable experience representing banks, insurers and other financial institutions on contentious issues, including internal and external investigations and both domestic and cross-border matters involving regulatory and law enforcement authorities, such as the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. He was previously head of contentious insurance regulation at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP.
He acts on litigation and arbitration disputes as well as on contentious regulatory matters.
Prior to joining Mayer Brown.
Investigations and enforcement
- Advising a major international investment bank on a global market abuse and antitrust investigation.
- Advising a major international investment bank on an insider dealing investigation.
- Advising a major international insurance firm on a market-leading FCA enforcement investigation into bribery and corruption issues.
- Advising a major international insurance firm on an FCA enforcement investigation in the life insurance, pensions and retirement and asset management sectors.
- Advising a major retail insurance firm and its CEO on an FCA enforcement investigation relating to governance, systems and controls, misselling and complaints handling.
Advising a major international investment bank on an international tax fraud investigation.
- Advising a major international investment bank on an internal investigation into bribery and corruption issues.
- Advising a consumer credit provider on a judicial review of the Financial Ombudsman’s service relating to an industry wide approach to redress for missold financial products
- Advising insurers and banks on various mass consumer liability exposures arising out of regulatory issues and strategies and schemes for dealing with them.
- Advising various financial services firms on regulatory investigations and exposures relating to payment protection insurance.
Litigation and arbitration
- Advising on follow on litigation and liability issues arising from regulatory investigations and enforcement actions, in particular in the UK and (working with US colleagues) in the US.
- Advising various major international investment banks on a series of civil, administrative and criminal court actions and investigations in the UK and Europe relating to derivative contracts with European local authorities.
- Advising a major international investment bank on a high value claim by European Sovereign State relating to derivative transactions and primary dealer obligations.
- Managing a portfolio of swaps litigation in the UK for a major retail bank.
- Advising on various disputes under sale and purchase agreements, in particular relating to liabilities to retail financial services customers.
- Advising consumer credit lenders on judicial reviews of the UK Financial Ombudsman Service relating to payment protection insurance.
- Advising a pensions firm on a potential judicial review of the Financial Ombudsman Service relating to a portfolio of customer claims.
- Advising on various international arbitrations, involving different rules and jurisdictions, in particular on behalf of financial institutions and in the telecommunications sector.
- Acting for the British Bankers Association and a series of banks on a leading payment protection insurance judicial review, BBA v FSA and FOS  EWHC 999 (Admin).
Victoria University of Wellington, LLB, First Class Honors
Victoria University of Wellington, BA
- England and Wales
- New Zealand